Is this a 1961 409

gypsyred

1000002473.jpg1000002474.jpg
Vin says L1xxxxxx. Is the 1 for the 61 year. That's how Chevrolet does their other engines.

Attachments

• 1000002474.jpg
    1000002474.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 38

62BillT

Well Known Member
I'll let the experts jump in, but I say you would need the Casting Number on the Block to prove it. The Date Code of July 14th may also tell us something.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Probably added by someone

to match the car it was put in. VIN stamps for 62 appeared later in the model year and appear to be rather poor stamps with random stamps with mismatching fonts.
How could Chevrolet install an engine that was assembled on 11-28-61 in a car whose production ended earlier?s
What is the body production date off the trim tag?

G-15-61 068 QB block1.jpg

Another fremont VIN Stamp.jpg

gypsyred

Yeah if it was added by someone it would be sloppy like the ones in your pics. Second pic is F2 32307 F for flint I'm assuming 2 is model year and the 32307 is vin of car. The pics i provided the serial number is a 330k. To answer about why such late build is shortage of 409s? What plant is L does anyone know

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Yeah if it was added by someone it would be sloppy like the ones in your pics. Second pic is F2 32307 F for flint I'm assuming 2 is model year and the 32307 is vin of car. The pics i provided the serial number is a 330k. To answer about why such late build is shortage of 409s? What plant is L does anyone know
built in Los Angeles, CA

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Usually if someone adds a stamping they do it all neat in line with matching font stamps. The real 62 VIN stamps were erratic.

Last edited:

gypsyred

I'm looking at the vin that was done with gang stamp from los Angeles that read L1 then the vin of car that's in the 300 thousands. It's not uncommon for blocks to sit around for 3 months especially the new 409. And who knows it could have been a late order 61 ordered in September. I believe the vin tells the tale. I got this from major collector in Idaho after his passing

gypsyred

It's the 068. Yes i understand. I don't believe stamp is a forgery though. I'll never know for sure. I don't have the car. I just was going by vin. I guess i want to believe its 61. I know casting is used in 62 but that's not always absolute. I've seen casting numbers that have been ground down and stamped from factory

gypsyred

Do you think it could be a warranty replacement block? For the 61. I'm just stuck on vin with it designation of 61

gypsyred

I understand what a casting number is. I've seen them ground down and then restamped from the factory. I've got a409 that is that way it's another 62 with x that's had last 4 of casting machined off then the 068 stamped on it.