it shoppin time!

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So I am off to purchase my front disc kit so I can slow the monster down this summer.
I have found complete kits from 295 -349 including one from Summit. I know from past mistakes it's a good idea to get some opions on things of safety so PLEASE give me yours.
I'll take some photo's as I go through the conversion as well as notes on any hang up's I have.

Example sites

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...RK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=150084146230&rd=1,1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...RK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=110043955660&rd=1,1

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...&N=700+4294908216+4294923714+115&autoview=sku

Then I need

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...RK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=180079764445&rd=1,1

I have the new dual master cylinder, lines and rear system already done.

thanks

Mike

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Just in case

if your doing your own here' two options

The formula is as follows:
58-64 power brake set-up.

Rotors, bearings and seals from any of these cars:
69-74 Nova
70-72 Monte Carlo
67-72 Chevelle
69-72 Grand prix
69-72 GTO
69-72 Skylark
69-72 Apollo
69-72 Grand Sport

Calipers from these cars:
75-76 Nova
73-76 Monte
73-76 Chevelle
73-76 Grand Prix
73-76 GTO
73-76 Tempest

Complete power brake/master cylinder set-up:
Any 11 inch 68-78 GM

Using stock booster
Power brake booster:
must use original 61-64

Master cylinder:
71-72 Impala deep cup part number bendix 10-1496

Combination valve:
71-80 GM

brake hoses:
73 Chevelle

Brackets: to mount the calipers
available in Super Chevy magazine, Late Great Chevy, Hubbart's Impala parts, etc….

Or use this

1965 - 1982 Corvette spindles are a direct fit in place of '59-64 full size car spindles. Use the Vette bearings, rotors, calipers and hoses. The Vette steering arm is configured wrong so drill out the two mounting holes on your '61 arms to match the Vette bolts.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I got a complete kit a few years back but I can't remember who it was from.:scratch Maybe PST or Master Power Brakes? But anyway, everything worked fine except for the power brake booster. It was too big to clear the 409 valve cover. They do make smaller diameter boosters but they cost more if I remember right, or you might be able to get an offset mounting bracket. I think that's what the factory used. In my case I left the booster off and got a master cylinder with a smaller piston designed for use with manual brakes. (1" instead of 1 1/8" I think) I thought the peddle might be too stiff with the manual disc brakes but it actually works really well.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I bought my complete front and rear power conversion kit from The Right Stuff Detailing. The kit was complete and easy to install. I did opt for the 2" drop spindles, which has the brackets made into the spindle, as well as the full chrome booster and dual bail master cylinder.

They also sell the kit in pieces...

You can view part of their catalog page here. (Note: you must have Adobe Reader installed to view)

http://www.rightstuffdetailing.com/2004_pdf/58_64fsc.pdf

Brian

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks for the replies! I have the same issue with the booster except it's the fenderwhell headers that are in the way :-)
I will order a kit tonight and post what I get.

thanks

M:-)

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Off set bracket

Engineered Components, Inc. makes a off set bracker that moves the booster and master cylinder 2 inches over and 1 inch up for 1955--1961 Chevy.

www.ecihotrodbrakes.com

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
An 11" booster won't clear the valve covers. Why would you want something that large and ugly? The dual diaphagm 8" boosters will clear and out perform the 11" single.
Watch out for reduced engine vacumm due to aftermarket/high performance cam. If you have under 14 ins of vac your power booster will be affected. Vacumm pumps work great in these instances.
I do sell disc brake conversions for Chevys (lowest known prices in the nation), pm me if you want more info.

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
An 11" booster won't clear the valve covers. Why would you want something that large and ugly? The dual diaphagm 8" boosters will clear and out perform the 11" single.
Watch out for reduced engine vacumm due to aftermarket/high performance cam. If you have under 14 ins of vac your power booster will be affected. Vacumm pumps work great in these instances.
I do sell disc brake conversions for Chevys (lowest known prices in the nation), pm me if you want more info.

The booster would have to be used with a vacumm pump to get this beast even close to enough vacumm, BBC 427 .650/.650 Roller and on and on. Don't realy care about how hard my fat foot has to smash the pedal as long as it stops properly. I'll PM you.

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
parts

FORGET THAT ADJUSTABLE VALVE. :doh
Buy a proportioning valve with the kit. Pre-bent lines are a big help . The proportioning valve works much better . The car will actually stop without rear wheel lock up.:roll
I know because I tried both ways and I was not at all happy with the adjustable one. If your set on using it, send me your address and I'll send you the one I took off the car. The car would not stop right. Good luck.

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
FORGET THAT ADJUSTABLE VALVE. :doh
Buy a proportioning valve with the kit. Pre-bent lines are a big help . The proportioning valve works much better . The car will actually stop without rear wheel lock up.

I found a complete kit 399.00 comes with everything plus the power booster that I will end up selling on eslay if I buy it. Hass the proportioning valve, new lines, hoses, all of it.

thanks!