I've got this noise.....

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
My understanding is that the rear shaft with a std differential in it would always be the same length. The fron shaft depends on the overall length of the trans. Not sure if there is any difference between 58-64 rear drive shafts lengths??? others here may know. The simple fix would be a second hand rear shaft which would be pretty common over there i would think.
Steve

entourageguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
with the front shaft it works ok. The carrier will line up with the two mounting holes. When slid back as far as it will go in the two slots the shaft still has about 1.5" to go to hit the yoke.

mac1

Well Known Member
I had the same problem with mine. DS was to short. I installed an Inland Empire telescoping drive shaft and this solved the problem. There should be more then enough travel to offset
any length discrepancies.

getFile.asp

http://www.iedls.com/Driveshafts/Stock-Replacementl-Driveshafts.asp

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The rear shafts are supposed to be all the same length- how long is yours Brian?

Don

entourageguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
well finally got back at the drive shaft problem. The rear shaft center to center is 34". overall is 35 1/4"

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Rear shafts are all the same from 58 to 64. 36 1/2 Overall length. (this is from the original master parts manual)
Ken..............

entourageguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hmmm I'm about 1.25" short. Think I'll check into the telescopic shaft option.
I've got the billet support installed so I might as well go the rest of the way. It's an expensive 1.25"
Which is better the show car shaft or inland empire?

entourageguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm led to believe that with the billet center bearing there is not much front to back movement and that is one of the reasons to go with a the telescopic rear shaft.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
The aluminum center has play. The bearing is in a sort of hollowed out part of the poly. I thought mine was solid but after time, I noticed it would slide forward and back within the poly housing. Still, the slider rear is great.

de31168

Well Known Member
Kind of makes you wonder what that rear driveshaft is actually out of, and why someone would have assembled it with only 1 bolt instead of the 2 it should have.

WarBeast17

I had a carrier bearing go out on me not long ago, thought it was the exhaust knocking until i took a left hand turn and something sounded like it was going to rip the car apart. I took hold of the front of the driveshaft and started flopping it about. The housing itself snapped clean in half, only thing i can figure is having it jacked up caused the rear to drop and put pressure on it. I'm just glad it didn't decide to venture downward and hit the fuel line.

entourageguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
they are like a ventriloquist I thought it was something on my suspension front drivers side.

entourageguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ok I've got the telescopic shaft. Now for a silly question does the slider go towards the front or rear?