Iwo Jima Flag Raising February 23, 1945

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I received this attachment yesterday. After reading it, I looked up the date of the historic flag raising on that hell hole of an island and saw the 61st anniversary is today. It makes a person sad to think of all the young men that gave their lives for us. They never had the chance to get married, have kids, grandkids, hear a 409, and grow old. May all those brave soldiers rest in peace. In the little town I grew up in, there were 2 guys that I was told fought there. They never talked about it.................

Not sure who wrote this. I hope it is true.

Attachments

• Iwo Jima.pdf
    181.4 KB · Views: 42

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I can't confirm the story in front of the statue, but the name of the Marines and their stories are correct. Iwo Jima and a host of the other Pacific islands and the lives lost there, in part, help form the decision to use the atomic bombs on Japan. In Europe and North Africa, the 8th & 15 Air Forces were manned by 21 to 24 year old pilots with teens as air crew. To be fair, many were older, but the majority were just boys and young men. To think our universities are now teaching our children that they should no longer be proud of what these boys did, is a damn shame.

HOOO-RAAHH :bow:bow:appl:appl:appl:appl

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
2-13-2009_074.JPG 2-13-2009_075.JPG2-13-2009_078.JPG 2-13-2009_079.JPG 2-18-2009_005.JPG Iwo Jima 72.jpg I've been to many of the island battlegrounds when I was flying the Pacific in 69-73. Iwo was just about the worst place I could imagine to fight and die for. Barren, volcanic lava rock and steaming sulphur pits all over. Scrawny tangan-tangan brush gives no shade from the oven hot sun. Black sand gets in everything. A real hell-hole for sure. Just the perfect place for the USCG to put a 20 man isolated duty LORAN Station. Last timed I was there in 73 the guys that were stationed there said they found bare footprints at their garbage dump. Possibly a Jap straggler living in one of the many caves that hadn't been sealed up by explosives after the battle.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Took my father in law back to the Philipines to retrace his steps in 2001 when he was 80, has since passed at 93. He landed at Leyte, 3rd landing craft, had to clean up things for MacArthur to return. Was setting on the beach after all the hell cleaning his rifle when Mac made his famous "I shall return" steps on to the beach. Mac walked beside him. He carried a BAR.
He closed his eyes and gave directions where to head back into the jungle, I had a driver and one of my sons. We drove where he told us and he remembered every place!!! We,went to Corregedor also where he was. If you have a minute look up the battle of zig zag pass. Pretty graphic description by a soldier.
My father in law received 14 medals including a Purple Heart, 3 Presidential Citations, Etc. He never complained or even talked about what happened, even when we were there he would just shake his head.

No doubt the Greatest Generation!!
He returned home, married his love, had 4 children, never would talk about anything, just did his duty and moved on.

It was not until after he was 85 or so did he take a single dollar for his actions, malaria reactions all his life, mortar wounds that aggravated him, etc.

He never understood why people would stomp on our flag, protest, want hand outs, etc. He went to his Maker a real hero of life.

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
You Know, this date is the same date that the battle of the Alamo began and it fell March 6 . Just saying:cry

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

Last edited:

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Great story Pat. You say "no doubt the greatest generation" and I will agree with that. Also, there were many generations that fought for this country and gave their lives after WW1 and WW2. In my opinion, the guys that fought in WW1 & 2 fought to keep our country free, and after that, the guys that fought and died sacrificed theirs for politicians. Just my opinion, not to take any thing away from the former.