Jacking up a 61 Bubbletop

Triple900

I have to lift the front drivers side of my 61 Bubbletop to adjust the clutch linkage. I was going to put a floor jack up under the frame rail behind the front wheel and then replace with jackstands. I tried a seach but didn't find any pro or cons of how to jack the car . Any suggestions would be helpful thanks

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
To jack mine up I use the floor jack, put a block of wood, maybe a piece of 2"×8" wooden block on the jacking pad and jack under the front cross member and then set a jack stand under each lower control arm.
Same deal on the rear, Jack under the rear end housing and set jack stands under the rear control arm bushings.
Depends on the quality of the car, sometimes I place a buffing pad on the wooden block so that I don't scratch the surface

bobs409

Administrator
As Tommy said or if you have 2 floor jacks, one under each front a-arm. I do not like jack stands myself, had 2 vehicles go off them and never again!!!

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I handle my cars just as Tommy says he does his,and will continue to do so but back in the day we thought nothing of jacking them up one corner at a time.The x frame and body has to be stronger than we think after all they have lasted 50 years +. When the body is bolted to the frame it becomes a strong unit.

Triple900

thanks for the replys.. I put the jack under the front cross member and two jackstands under the frame right behind the a arms, have to say my first car was a 1961 convertable and I thought nothing of jacking it up on the frame rail and crawling under it and a later 65 chevelle but I was nervous as hell doing this . lift is on order