Jardine Update

somis62

Supporting Member 1
Header Exit

Look at the pics Ronnie kindly posted for me in thread 14. Both sides exit just behind aft lower control arm mount and turn out, just like stock exhaust.

Tim

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
If they exit towards the side I'm guessing a mandrel 45 or 90 connected to get the exhaust flowing back again will do.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Attached are pictures of headers by Fred Totten. These are 2 in. headers that Fred had made. Don;t remember how many sets he had made, but I passed on a set when they were available. Terrible mistake on my part. Our member -- somis62-- has offered to take his off of his car if someone would be interested in reproducing them. A very generous offer. Maybe Jarod Jardine would be interested. Bob Walker Jr. could do the job, but Bob probably doenst have the time to invest in such a project. somis62 says that mini starter is required and spin on filter. Don't know what else to add. Do you guys think this to be a good idea? Would welcome some input and opinions.

Let's not lose this idea. Fred had the jigs for these headers in his garage in Middletown Oh. Does anyone that was at his house when he passed know what happened to them?

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ray, I don't remember seeing them at the house. I thought Dean had the jigs in California.I'll check with John. They really seemed like a good design. Dean was pretty specific about what needed to be done to make them work. I'm sure Jared knows all those angles too. Bob

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Ray, I don't remember seeing them at the house. I thought Dean had the jigs in California.I'll check with John. They really seemed like a good design. Dean was pretty specific about what needed to be done to make them work. I'm sure Jared knows all those angles too. Bob

Fred told me that the jigs were in his garage. I did not look in the garage when we were there, I wanted to but didn't. I wish I would have mentioned it now :doh

Bam59

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Ray,,,i last time i talked to Fred he told me he had a guy in his town that was good to make them. but i do not know if he gave him the jig's:dunno

Jerod Jardine

Well Known Member
we've layed out a set on the car. We built a set of try-ys that should work bitchen on a street/ strip car. They fall out of the car so install should be a cake walk. They fit with the big starter as well. We're also talking about jiging up an exhaust system also in 2.5" with cut outs. The system will likley exit be fore the rear wheel.
My Pops is working on the bigger set now and we should have some info on them soon.
My camera is on the fritz so I don't have any pics. I'll get some posted when I get a new one or borrow one.
Thanks,
Jerod

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Jerod
I left a mini starter with your dad just in case more room is needed for larger pipes. It was on the 454 in my pickup. As I understand from others on this site, the bolts that I included may have to be shortened or washered for 409?

Happy New Year!!
Ron

Jerod Jardine

Well Known Member
Yeah Ron we have the small starter you suplied. Pops just turned 70. This project has put a pep in his step for sure. I still have to crack the whip on him though sometimes.;)
Thanks guys and happy new year,
Jerod

Jerod Jardine

Well Known Member
We've got the headers done. We have them in 3 diferant styles. The small set will be 1 3/4"- 2" try y"s. The bigger set are 2" stepped to 2 1/8" primaries with 2 1/4" secondaries try y's. The third set are same as the small one in a fenderwell layout.
We are taking pre orders with special incentives for members of 348-409info.
Thanks,
Jerod Jardine. 307 851 2724

Attachments

• small ty 409.jpg
    small ty 409.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 261
  • f-well 409-1.jpg
    f-well 409-1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 272
  • f well p side.jpg
    f well p side.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 279
  • f well d side.jpg
    f well d side.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 285

Richard/SIA

Well Known Member
Work on a '59? Good for sustained high RPM use?

I reread the entire thread, unless I am mistaken I take it that these should work on all the X Frame W powered cars?

I'm not going dragging, more like road-race, will these work well or should I continue with my original plan to fabricate my own? :dunno

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
409 headers

Jerod,
I just sent you an PM on the new headers. I have been trying to find 2" or 1 7/8 " headers for my 409 -482 cubic inch stroker motor in my restored 62 SS 409 for many months.

Hookers will not fit without modifications to the car and that I can't do, it just came home from the body shop painted. I need to get pictures posted of the car.
The Thorley headers are small for my stroker motor, I think from what I have seen.

Paul Stensland

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Jerod the first set on the first page looks like 4 tubes and not tri Ys -are you still going with any of those?

Jerod Jardine

Well Known Member
We're probably going to stay with the try y's for now. They spread the power out so well and will lose very little if any on top. The only reason I first layed out the 4-1 was because I didn't have a car to work with and was trying to copy the old set.
Thanks,
Jerod.