Jim_ss409

Seems to me there wouldn't be any issues with a fiberglass aircleaner. Buick used plastic aircleaners in the sixties and I've never heard anything bad about them.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Thanks, So far it's doing fine. I don't expect any problems because it's quite a way from any real heat sources. It's really just a cover that clips on over the air cleaner. I started out wanting to make it resemble the 62 hood but it kind of morphed into something that looks sort of like a GTO hoodscoop. I carved the shape I wanted out of some pink styrafoam. (first picture) Then I covered it with fiberglass and used Bondo to get it smooth. Oh and I forgot to mention that you've got to paint the styrafoam with latex paint or shellac or something so the fiberglass won't disolve it. When you're done working with it it's easy to scoop most of the styrafoam out and use acetone to disolve any that you couldn't get to. It was probably more work than it was worth but sometimes it's nice to try something different.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 53

bobs409

Administrator
Neat! I knew you made it yourself but for some reason, I always thought it was metal. :? Looks like a great way to build a hood scoop too! (in fact, there are alot of wheels turning in my head now) :D

409 Willy

Supporting Member 1
Cowl Induction Air Cleaner

Does anyone remember the cowl induction air cleaner on the A/FX 62 409s that got its out side air from the vents under the windshield? I would love to have one of them, don't think they make any repo's though. It had a rubber gasket between the air cleaner on the engine and the mounting bracket on the firewall.
Thanks,
409 Willy :roll