John Carollo's publications???

CharlieB

Has anyone read or used any of John Carollo's books? Specifically How to rebuild and modify 348/409 engines. I have come across two different topics in the book that have proved to be false. Because I have never had the pleasure of rebuilding a 348 engine before now, any and all research I do I double check and cross reference. So far, I have found more people describing situations that are covered in Carollo's to be just the opposite of what he has written. One example: Carollo's book has a chapter on just pistons. He writes the differences between 348 & 409 piston caps. He says 409 caps have a single slope piston cap where the 348 caps have a double slope. There is an illustration showing the differences. I had sent my cap casting numbers and photos to Show Cars in MN. They Identified my piston as a 348 11.25:1 piston. Only one slope was valve cutouts. I'm beginning to wonder if the purchase of his book was a good one or a bad one. I tend to have more faith in the knowledge of a person with grease under their nails than someone who writes about it and has never change their own oil.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Lots of little things in the books out there now will throw you off when building a W engine. Just stick around here and ask questions as you go. I'll bet there isn't anything one of us hasn't come accross and figured out. hang in there, they run great when done.

CharlieB

Yea and even a shop manual can throw you off. About a hundred years ago I rebuilt my first 350. Everything was fine until it came to setting the valves. No compression doing it the manual way. I have found that talking to people who have done it is the best way. Thanks.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
As everyone else has said all the knowledge you need is right here at your fingertips...:deal As far as the pistons you described it sounds like you have one of the high performance 348's. The low hp engines have a dome that looks like the roof of a house"^" and most likely the piston described in your book. If you do a search on this site for How to build a stroker or, How to build a 348 or, 409 truck builds you will come up with enough reading to keep you busy for quite some time. Good Luck

CharlieB

As everyone else has said all the knowledge you need is right here at your fingertips...:deal As far as the pistons you described it sounds like you have one of the high performance 348's. The low hp engines have a dome that looks like the roof of a house"^" and most likely the piston described in your book. If you do a search on this site for How to build a stroker or, How to build a 348 or, 409 truck builds you will come up with enough reading to keep you busy for quite some time. Good Luck
Thanks. I have found out in a short time that this is one of the best sites for what I'm looking for. You are right. There is enough material to keep me busy reading for a long time.