Johns Industries 9 inch Ford rear end -pictures

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Does anyone have pictures of a Johns industries 9 inch Ford (for my 62 Chevy ) with a 4 link (two upper links not just one)
Johns did not have a picture with 2 upper links + I would like to see the complete 9" unit in and out of the car if anyone has some pictures.

I am considering installing a Johns industries 9 inch and a Inland Empire driveshaft in my 62 SS 409 stroker motor Hardtop(its actually a frame off show car) to drag race it occasionally since I can't buy a 61 Chevy 2 door sedan for $ 7000 and install the same rear end and a rebuilt stroker motor from all the engine parts I have saved....

any advise on what to order from Johns is welcomed. They provided a quote based on dyno horsepower I provided (500 HP ) -they selected a trac lock(clutch style) for 550 HP for the rear end and 31 spline axles. Housing rated for 800 HP at the wheels.

Paul Stensland

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Paul:

I don't have any 9 inch pics, but I didn't know you were looking for a 1961 sedan for a possible drag car :) :) :).

James and I found one a few years back we'd like to focus on in the coming year:

1961 Biscayne drag car.jpg
So they are out there!

TomK

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I am running a Johns 9 in my car. Spool for the track and clutch posi for street. I helped John get some bracketry figured out for these a while back. At that time I fabricated my own 4th bracket and had Johns weld it on the housing. Their bracket mimics the factory bracket and looks like it should be there. I have seen pictures. You will have no issues with Johns stuff. Many people here have them. I am pretty sure Ricky has one in his 61, and he may even have the second bracket. John is a good guy, and a hot rodder as well.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
They did not have a picture so I was concerned that they have not done ones with the 4 th link.
Paul

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I am running a Johns 9 in my car. Spool for the track and clutch posi for street. I helped John get some bracketry figured out for these a while back. At that time I fabricated my own 4th bracket and had Johns weld it on the housing. Their bracket mimics the factory bracket and looks like it should be there. I have seen pictures. You will have no issues with Johns stuff. Many people here have them. I am pretty sure Ricky has one in his 61, and he may even have the second bracket. John is a good guy, and a hot rodder as well.
I do have one in my car with the second bracket on it... but in my infinite wisdom I didn’t take a picture of the housing before I put it in....If you call Johns, they will set you up.. they have fantastic customer service....:bow
Rick

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
What Johns ratio rear end ratio & what transmission and what 1st gear are you using ?
  • I was thinking about switching my Muncie 4 speed to a Richmond 5 speed with a 3:23 first gear.

Our new local strip is currently running 1/8 mile but could switch to 1/4
I know my stroker engine has the most power and torque at about 5300 RPM (and then it falls off) from the dyno.
The slicks I have are small -will probably need larger ones.

Any comments on these housing items ?
  • I was thinking the flange to flange width of housing of the ford 9 inch that would work is 58 inches vs the original width of 60 inches ?? I know that Iowa409guy --Dave's 64 has a 58 Inch - 9" ford
  • I was going to use 2 adjustable upper control arms from UMI + Global West's rear upper bracket for these adjustable control arms that has mutiple mounting locations (Global West --VTC-94(59 to 64 Impala)
  • I currently have original lower control arms -will they be OK ?
  • Use my original 409 rear springs that I had made new ?
Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Paul:

I don't have any 9 inch pics, but I didn't know you were looking for a 1961 sedan for a possible drag car :):):).

James and I found one a few years back we'd like to focus on in the coming year:

View attachment 66702
So they are out there!

TomK

Tom,
that is almost identical to the 61 biscayne I found in Omaha -its the other color green from 61.

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
What Johns ratio rear end ratio & what transmission and what 1st gear are you using ?
  • I was thinking about switching my Muncie 4 speed to a Richmond 5 speed with a 3:23 first gear.

Our new local strip is currently running 1/8 mile but could switch to 1/4
I know my stroker engine has the most power and torque at about 5300 RPM (and then it falls off) from the dyno.
The slicks I have are small -will probably need larger ones.

Any comments on these housing items ?
  • I was thinking the flange to flange width of housing of the ford 9 inch that would work is 58 inches vs the original width of 60 inches ?? I know that Iowa409guy --Dave's 64 has a 58 Inch - 9" ford
  • I was going to use 2 adjustable upper control arms from UMI + Global West's rear upper bracket for these adjustable control arms that has mutiple mounting locations (Global West --VTC-94(59 to 64 Impala)
  • I currently have original lower control arms -will they be OK ?
  • Use my original 409 rear springs that I had made new ?
Paul
Paul, Mine is stock width with 31 spline axles. I also have Global West upper and lower bars, the uppers being adjustable. The trans is a Liberty pro shifted Super T 10 with 2:88 first gear. The rear has 4:10’s and it is at about 52-5300 RPM through the traps with a 27” tall tire, but I’m not quite sure I have the optimal combination of rear gear and camshaft...:dunno I’ve been running it for two years like this and I’m still sorting it out...:doh

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I have a 2.88 first gear T10, 4.30 gear, 28 inch slick. I had my axle narrowed 1.5 inches to tuck my tires in the wheelwell. I run a 275 60 15 tire on a 8.5 wheel and full 3 inch exhaust. It is tight but will fit. Get a clutch that will hold your power. I have been using Phoenix clutches for years with great sucess. I run their most aggressive clutch rated for the highest horsepower and have had no failures. My buddy also runs one in his 500+ horsepower Camaro without issues. Both of these cars are street-strip. Get all new arms, and you will have to play with a rear spring rate to get the car to launch.