Jumpy Clutch

More thought's , hard petal or soft petal???? Does clutch disc slide on tran's shaft easily??? Does your bell housing have the dowel's all in place, and no slop on bell housing to engine????
Yeah ,that clutch might be the problem . Do you have the correct free play when clutch is released????
I guess the petal has normal pressure. It do not push hard and it is not soft. Bell does have all the dowels in place. Fits tight to block. Free play is an inch to inch and a half. As for the disk sliding free on tran's shaft I'm pretty sure it does cannot say for sure. Will have to get on host an check for sure. Good idea. Thanks Dave

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Not sure of their quality,pretty sure Napa will be a China made clutch, and pressure plate.I haven't used a Hays assembly since our 55 Chevy modified production car which was in late 60's early 70's,They were great back then..I bought a Borg Warner last fall because they use to be made in Baltimore.When it came in ,I happened to check the box just before installion.Damn thing was made in China.Not real happy with it.I think I'm going to go with a Centerforce.Heard nothing but positive things about their clutches and pressure plates.Another thing what Leo had to say about the original tranny. If by chance you have a 63' Chevy 4 speed tranny that came with a car with 250 hp or less your tranny will have the small head shaft colar(1 year only 1963). If by chance You are using that tranny measure your bellhousing opening to see if its larger than the tranny's head gear shaft colar.If it is not a tight fit,like Leo said this could cause your problem.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
John, Yes I have installed a new roller pilot bearing thinking that would be better, no difference. I check on your other suggestions, I think I'm OK with this but not sure. I'm really thinking about getting a Ram or Hays clutch instead of a NAPA or other parts house clutch. What do you think about trying that. Thanks again, Dave

I have had exceptional luck with my Ram clutch since I put it in 2 years ago. Haven't even had to adjust it putting it up against my 10" slicks at 5k rpm.....and dumping the clutch....hammer down...power shift....whoo....whooooooooo

Last edited:

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I have used Ram Muscle Car series behind 409,427, 396 engines with no problem. These are all street driven cars.

Bill

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I haven't used them, but several friends have really praised Competition Clutches that are based here in GA. I first heard about them from people out west actually.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
PictureKodak easy share photos 702.jpg I always had a "RAM " 3-metallic pad clutch disc W/a Ram pressure plate on my '57 . 6 grand launches and it held up very well.:eek:D
:crazy:dance:cheers

Last edited:

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I put in one from Clutch Masters about 2 years ago. I guess you would call it a dual friction clutch. I like it.

I have had exceptional luck with my Ram clutch since I put it in 2 years ago. Haven't even had to adjust it putting it up against my 10" slicks at 5k rpm.....and dumping the clutch....hammer down...power shift....whoo....whooooooooo
I'v been thinking more about what what Bob said about clutch linkage. So just called Show Cars. Can up with something I forgot to say. I'v always had trouble with the clutch rod from Z bar to clutch. I have had to shorten it to make it work. They thought maybe I have wrong throw out bearing . I cannot believe this as I have always gotten a clutch kit that came with everything. They also said maybe the carrier bearing is letting the drive shaft jump causing the clutch to jump. If anyone has had any problems with clutch linkage no fitting let me know. Thanks again, Dave

Not sure of their quality,pretty sure Napa will be a China made clutch, and pressure plate.I haven't used a Hays assembly since our 55 Chevy modified production car which was in late 60's early 70's,They were great back then..I bought a Borg Warner last fall because they use to be made in Baltimore.When it came in ,I happened to check the box just before installion.Damn thing was made in China.Not real happy with it.I think I'm going to go with a Centerforce.Heard nothing but positive things about their clutches and pressure plates.Another thing what Leo had to say about the original tranny. If by chance you have a 63' Chevy 4 speed tranny that came with a car with 250 hp or less your tranny will have the small head shaft colar(1 year only 1963). If by chance You are using that tranny measure your bellhousing opening to see if its larger than the tranny's head gear shaft colar.If it is not a tight fit,like Leo said this could cause your problem.
Nope, new Borg-Warner Tranny two years ago. Looking more at linkage to start. Thank Dave

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I'v been thinking more about what what Bob said about clutch linkage. So just called Show Cars. Can up with something I forgot to say. I'v always had trouble with the clutch rod from Z bar to clutch. I have had to shorten it to make it work. They thought maybe I have wrong throw out bearing . I cannot believe this as I have always gotten a clutch kit that came with everything. They also said maybe the carrier bearing is letting the drive shaft jump causing the clutch to jump. If anyone has had any problems with clutch linkage no fitting let me know. Thanks again, Dave
There is a right and wrong way to put fork on throw out bearing !!!!!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
You have to have the correct bellhousing, clutch fork, bellcrank and lower clutch fork pushrod to have your clutch work perfectly. If any one of these 4 items are not correct...you will have to re-engineer the whole system.

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have a centerforce pressure plate, clutch and throwout bearing in my 63 and it works ok.I would buy this again.