Jumpy Clutch

You have to have the correct bellhousing, clutch fork, bellcrank and lower clutch fork pushrod to have your clutch work perfectly. If any one of these 4 items are not correct...you will have to re-engineer the whole system.
Thanks Phil, I think we are on the right track. I have had to cut and weld the rod from the z-bar to clutch arm. So there is a problem somewhere just have to find it. Do not think it is through out bearing, it in the linkage somewhere. Hope I'm on the right track. Thanks for the help. Dave

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Is there a difference in the years for the clutch rod from the pedal to the "Z-bar" ?
Ken

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hi Dave , What I had in front of the clutch was a 1967 327 vette small journal block with a 283 crank ;060 0ver with 5.7 venolia aluminum rods.12.5 jahns pistons.open chambered angle plug heads from the 1973 Chevy power book cast 340292 stainless valves titanium springs and keepers Sig Erson roller cam crane roller lifters and rockers Weiand Tunnel ram with 660 Holleys Accel B.E.I. ignition. also 1969 Vette super T-10 trans 68 Camaro 12 bolt with 5:57s. The motor worked out to approx. 305 ci dynoed at 550 Hp at I think 6,500 rpm This was 1983 when the pic was taken. The car now has the engine pictured on the left in my avatar.:love:love I have a pic of the engine somewhere. I'll post it when I find it.
:crazy:dance:cheers

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Hi Dave , What I had in front of the clutch was a 1967 327 vette small journal block with a 283 crank ;060 0ver with 5.7 venolia aluminum rods.12.5 jahns pistons.open chambered angle plug heads from the 1973 Chevy power book cast 340292 stainless valves titanium springs and keepers Sig Erson roller cam crane roller lifters and rockers Weiand Tunnel ram with 660 Holleys Accel B.E.I. ignition. also 1969 Vette super T-10 trans 68 Camaro 12 bolt with 5:57s. The motor worked out to approx. 305 ci dynoed at 550 Hp at I think 6,500 rpm This was 1983 when the pic was taken. The car now has the engine pictured on the left in my avatar.:love:love I have a pic of the engine somewhere. I'll post it when I find it.
I was under the impression you raced a 348 big block back in the day:dunno:dunno

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15

I found the picture of the 305 race motor:love

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I ate a few Centerforce dual friction clutches up in my car in short order. I now have put a Phoenix clutch kit in and so far am very happy. It is a 6 puck ceramic clutch. Aggressive but streetable. Might be a bit much for most people, but they do have other options as well.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
John is right about the "z" bar, also known as a Bell crank. This Diagram From the Show Cars web sideshows the difference in different "z" bars.

bell-crank-z-bar.jpg

Holy Cow!! Big picture!! You're interested in the two at the bottom. Notice that the vertical arm on the left is shorter on the 409 bar.
Just throwing this out there. Are the arms that come off the Z-bar braced ? I welded braces from the arm to the tube after I noticed one of the arms was flexing when I pressed the clutch. The factory weld had cracked.:idea:rub

Last edited:
Is there a difference in the years for the clutch rod from the pedal to the "Z-bar" ?
Ken
Ken, Yes there is. They are all different, 61 only, 62-63 only then 64 only, 65-66. That's as far as my book goes. That's another thing I need to check on. I think that I have the right one. Thanks Dave

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I had an old Chiltons manual (probably printed in the mid-70's, but I am not even sure where it is now to check) that showed 2 different clutch linkage set-ups for '61. It showed the normal '61 system and then the 2nd design ('62-63) system being on some 1961's. I'm not sure if that is accurate or not, but if so it seems like that would cause some confusion and an added risk of parts mismatch on 61's. Don't guess that would apply to your '63 in anyway, but this seemed like a good place to mention it for reference.

jeff hall

Well Known Member
Something isn't quit right. Show car's diagram shows 59-60's and then they list 59 by it's self and 60-61 as going together. :deal

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
About those braces on the z bar i have had 2 of the z bars breaks over the years and now have braces on mine.