Junior Johnson

62BillT

Well Known Member
I've been doing some reading on the Z-11 forum here and have only read a small portion as there is a whole lot to read.

But just wondering if anyone has ever talk to Junior Johnson to see what he remembers about the Z-11 cars.

Speed

Supporting Member 1
Junior drove for Ray Fox on The NASCAR circuit.
The Z-11 cars were purely Drag Racing cars.
Junior drove 63's for Fox with the then "mystery" engine. the "mystery" engine was the forerunner of the BB today engine.

62BillT

Well Known Member
Right, That is not the first time that I have mixed the two up.

Well anyway, has anyone every talked to Junior about the Mystery Engine before.

Or are the facts well documented on them.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The facts will never be documented " enough". It would be great for all of us if a 409 enthusiast could wrangle a sit-down with Mr. Johnson and get a tape recorder full of information that only he could supply about some issues. Likes and dislikes, who did what, etc. Would take someone with connections to get such an interview, sure hope someone can do that.

oil4kids

Well Known Member
During the 1963 Datytona, the father of the mystery motor Richard "Dick" Keinath, in sunglasses and panama hat keep a close eye on Ray Fox and Smokeys mystery motors

after Keinath retired from Chevy he went to work with Jr Johnson, when Junior switched to Ford, Keinath left

Keinath was also a important part of the small block program after Nascar dumped the big blocks. Infact it was Dicks idea to use the big block size cam journals in small block motor for increased reliability

Keinath was the original draftsman on the 348 heads. Was also involved with the Z11 program too. Some of the other mystery motor engineers past away years ago. Why this guy is not in every motorsports hall of fame is beyond me.

AZ409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I was just reading Junior's book," Brave in Life Junior Johnson", per this book in 1963 he drove 30 races for Holly Farms, 2 for Fox and 1 Bill Stroppe. After he switched to Chevrolet he won 6 for Holly and 1 qualifing race with Fox. The book doesn't mention the Z-11 motor.
I grew up in Wilkes county where most of my "Kin Folks" were in the same business as Junior. Back in the 50s I remember him as a local folk hero, tells of him out running the Feds in his Cad powered 40 coupe was real entertainment for us back in those hills. He's retired now near the old North Wilkesboro speedway with his coon dogs.
I'm going to the Charlotte Auto Fest in a couple of weeks and back home to Wilkes County for a few days. I'm sure I won't see Junior but I do have breakfast with one of his earlier mechanics, I'll see if anything has been recorded or is in print about the 63. Larry

NASCAR FAN

Well Known Member
AZ409:

The authors, Tom Higgins, and Steve Waid, are misleading in their book, BRAVE IN LIFE, about Junior Johnson. Ray Fox owned the Holly Farms 1963 Chevrolet that Junior drove in 32 races and won 7 in the 1963 NASCAR season. Holly Farms was the sponsor-- Ray Fox the owner. NASCAR records list Ray Fox as the owner for the 32 races.

Junior Johnson also drove the Holly Farms '63 Chevrolet in the first two races of the 1964 NASCAR season which were prior to the 1964 Daytona 500. Ray Fox switched to Dodge for the 1964 season beginning with the Daytona 500.

Rick

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
"Junior Johnson also drive the Holly Farms '63 Chevrolet in the first two races of the 1964 NASCAR season which were prior to the 1964 Daytona 500"

This is true....in those days the season actually started with a couple of races in the fall prior to the coming year. Junior ran the '63 Chevrolet at the little Concord N.C. speedway and on the old road course in Augusta, Ga. in Nov. of 1963. Jr. was supposed to drive a Mercury in 1964 but just before the Daytona race, switched back to Fox and drove his '64 Dodge.
Those two races that Junior drove the Chevrolet in November of '63 could well have been with a 409 motor. (just my thoughts) He was just making races then with whatever they could put together while waiting to see what would happen during the winter. I believe that Junior kept the short track car in Wilksboro while the speedway cars were kept at Ray Foxes place in Daytona. Back then I was a young kid just out of high school working as the gas man on one of the independant Pontiac teams. I remember being at the short tracks and Junior would be there with a Holly Farms car but I don't remember seeing Ray Fox except at the speedways. I remember very well being at the old Hillsbrough, N.C. speedway in the spring of '63 and standing there watching Turkey Minton (Junior's Mechanic) changing the air filter between qualifying and the race. At that time, I didn't know what a "mystery motor" was, the thing that I remember about that day was; it had a Holley carburator and I had never seen a G.M. car with a Holley before. I think Junior won the race that day.
The last "hooraa" for the mystery motor was at Charlotte in the fall of '63. Ray Fox showed up with 3 1963 Chevrolet's for that race, Jr. was driving the number 3, Buck Baker was in the 33 and Jim Paschal drove the 03. All three were sponsered by Holly Farms. I remember pulling into Charlotte and being supprised to see all three Holly Farms cars under the pit shed. You could tell that the 3 car was the main car, the other two cars looked like short track cars that had been spifed up for the speedway. Junior won the race and the other two cars didn't finish the race.
Junior almost won the spring Charlotte race but a tire blew right near the end of the race. Today they have speed limits on pit road, I remember standing on pit road when he blew that tire, our pit area was near the entrance to pit road, he came off the race track and down pit road, must have been running over a 100 mph, rubber was slinging up in the air, what a sight.....what memories

P.S......I saw Ray Fox at the car show in Daytona year before last, he's having some health problems now but is still a fine man and a pleasure to talk with.

NASCAR FAN

Well Known Member
409 engine

I read an interview with Junior Johnson a few years a ago in one of the popular auto magazines. In the interview Junior stated they ran a 427 based on the 409 engine design later in the '63 season in some of the short track (some were still dirt) races in order to save the parts they had left for the MK II engine.

Rick

62BillT

Well Known Member
Last I have heard on Junior from a personal source was from a person who also lives in the North Wilkesboro area. This was a couple of years ago and at that time he said Junior was trying to buy or trying to get something started at the old North Wilkesboro track. We all know he's retired now and he seems to be in good health as I believe I just saw him on TV at the Bristol race. It sure would be a fine opportunity for someone to talk to him about the old days. I don't know a whole lot about him personally, but would not be surprised at all if he would really enjoy to sit down and talk about those old historic days.

DaveFoster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Here's a chance to ask Junior Johnson questions.

Taken from jayski.com today -Junior Johnson, Tom Pistone, Cotton Owens & Bud Moore are scheduled to appear at the First Annual Historic Occoneechee-Orange Speedway "Celebration of the Automobile" Car Show hosted by the Bull City Street Rod Association on Saturday, September 29, 2007 from 8:00am - 5:00pm (Rain or Shine). Location: Elizabeth Brady Road, Hwy 70-A at the historic Occoneechee Speedway entrance in Hillsborough, North Carolina. For more information visit the Historic Speedway Group website.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
That is the same weekend as the Charlotte Show. I'll be in Charlotte and I'm sure Tommy will be there also so maybe some one from here can get to Hillsborough which isn't realy close to Charlotte.
Robert

AZ409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The Charlotte AutoFair is 13 Sept and Good Guys is 26 Oct. Larry

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Posted by Dave Foster

"Taken from jayski.com today -Junior Johnson, Tom Pistone, Cotton Owens & Bud Moore are scheduled to appear at the First Annual Historic Occoneechee-Orange Speedway "Celebration of the Automobile" Car Show hosted by the Bull City Street Rod Association on Saturday, September 29, 2007 from 8:00am - 5:00pm (Rain or Shine). Location: Elizabeth Brady Road, Hwy 70-A at the historic Occoneechee Speedway entrance in Hillsborough, North Carolina. For more information visit the Historic Speedway Group website."

I attended the above event yesterday.....great event, Junior was a "no-show"

below is a link the event website

http://www.historicspeedwaygroup.org/historicspeedwaygroup.php

NASCAR FAN

Well Known Member
# 83 Pontiac

real61ss: In the Occoneeche Photo section, is that you standing beside the # 83 1965 Pontiac stock car.

Rick