Just a quick "Hello"

Gearhead99

I'm new, encase you couldn't tell that's why I'm typing this.

I own/operate a local garage here in Florida. Love old cars, especially "Muscle Era" cars.

I have a 1961 bubble back window Impala at my shop for repairs right now. I came to this board over the weekend with some questions about the engine. It is a 348, 250 HP, 4 speed car.

I was having trouble getting the pistons installed. I tried everytype of piston ring compressor out there, to no avail. I did a search and came to your board.

Did a search here and got my answer. I ended up putting them in with my fingers and after around two-three the rest were a snap.

The suggestion about using the "wind-up" compressor upside down wouldn't work. I had already thought of that one. The engine is overbored .040 and the extra .040 doesn't give you enough room to get it all down in the combustion chamber. I was ready to start doing them by hand.....but hesitated till I searched the web to see if anyone else had a different way of doing it. Nope, by hand works. Thanks, to Ronnie Russell for his help.

Any other oddities I should know about??

Thanks, Later

Dave

Gearhead99

Small world here Dick. I use to live in Claymont, DE and had an aquaintance in Bear, DE. He had a Body Shop that only repaired Corvettes. Franie Lewendowski. I'm sure I misspelled his last name. Fairly large shop on right hand side of rode heading toward MD.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Yeah, Dave, I know exactly where his shop is/was. I pass by it almost daily. I don't think Franie has been there for a few years now although the shop is still a body shop. On the west bound side of route 40 just before the MD/DE line.

Oh, BTW,
welcome.gif
! This is a great site...probably the best on the net.
wink3.gif

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Welcome and get your self a W engine and join the rest of us. In no time you'll be just addicted to these things as us. You might not become as wierd as DQ or Ronnie but they are attending therapy and should be on the mend soon.:roll Roy

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Gee willikers!! Youse guys are a tough crowd !!! My weirdness is obvious , but what has poor ole dq ever done to anyone???? :roll :roll :roll

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
:hug :hug Gee, all this a** kissing is making me thirsty.:roll :roll I think I'll go have a couple rum & cokes.:roll :roll One thing is for certain. These are a great group of knowledgeable guys.:clap :clap :clap Skip:)