Just started 62 SS Project

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I know that stage!

Thanks for the great progress pics!

I know EXACTLY where you are with your project, give or take a few assemblies :).

Excellent progress. Mine took a little over two years (I stopped counting) and was well worth the effort. Seems that you are able to fire that engine up once and while, and that in itself will boil your blood and keep you attentive to the overall project.

I found the details of fit and finish to be excruciating and somewhat painful. I just did a little bit each day over a long period of time.

When I completed the project just a few months ago, I immediately embarked on a trip of 946 miles. The return drive went just as well, minor fixes needed here and there. My biggest issue was a bolt snapping off the (replacement) alternator up top. Must be an alignment/vibration problem.

So, best of luck in completing your project, you will love the end results!!!

Cheers,
TomK

mabeauchamp

Supporting Member 1
Update: July 07

Hi All. It's been awhile. Life got in the way but I've been making some slow progress. Here are a couple of things I had to learn the hardway. (I remember reading about the first two in previous threads.)

There's a reason the General put a splash shield on the bottom of intake. I've got oil blowing past the gromet (this would be a seep in military terms. a seep is not enough to ground the aircraft for maintenance; a leak is).

Timing should be about 34 degrees at 2400-3000 rpm, 12 deg on start no vacuum.

The Powermaster starter (staggered pattern) walked away after a few starts and bent the bolts. The tech folks recommend a brack on the backside.

It's okay to stop sanding, fit the panels, and drive in primer. (there's always winter.) It scares yuppies and true gear heads appreciate seeing the project.

Here's some pics of the progress.

Attachments

• 29JUL07_001.jpg
    29JUL07_001.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 29JUL07_002.jpg
    29JUL07_002.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 29JUL07_003.jpg
    29JUL07_003.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 29JUL07_004.jpg
    29JUL07_004.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 38
  • 29JUL07_005.jpg
    29JUL07_005.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 42

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
If its running good and the pictures come even close to doing it justice winter might be a long time coming. I like it! It looks tough!:clap :clap :clap