Just Venting !!!!

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
New Hose ???

Bel Air 348,

The lower radiator hose is brand new and has the spring installed. I believe it is functioning correctly and not pinched.

The one thing I'm still working on is wether I'm over-driving or under-driving or just driving the water pump with the after market pullies I'm using. Can someone please tell me the diameter of the stock pullies ?? I think the crank pulley is about the same diameter put the water pump is different ? Don't know because I don't have a stock set to measure...:dunno

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Nuts,stock size water pump pulley is 7 inch,I ran 190 on the highway and 200 deg in the city in 90 deg heat.I switched to a 6 inch water pulley and will test it Sunday
its going to be 90 deg.I will give you my report Sunday.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
open it up

You need to open the back of the water pump and look for the anti-cavitation plate on the impeller. They came on the original 348/409 pump, but thru the years a lot of SBC (no anti-cavitation plate) impellers were installed in the pumps at rebuild. If it is missing the plate, you can still rectify the problem by installing the plate. This missing plate makes for a huge difference in the amount of water being flowed in the system. Buy it at Summit.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks !!!

JimK and Models,

Thanks for the information, I'll have to check both the size and the plate... :dunno

Jim - Looking forward to your report...:)

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
models916 said:
You need to open the back of the water pump and look for the anti-cavitation plate on the impeller. They came on the original 348/409 pump, but thru the years a lot of SBC (no anti-cavitation plate) impellers were installed in the pumps at rebuild. If it is missing the plate, you can still rectify the problem by installing the plate. This missing plate makes for a huge difference in the amount of water being flowed in the system. Buy it at Summit.

Models,I found it at Summit,here's the link

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=BRA-3500-01&N=0&autoview=sku

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
stock 348-409

Should look something like this, cast iron with back plate. Curved tines are better.

Attachments

• pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 27

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
models916 said:
Should look something like this, cast iron with back plate. Curved tines are better.

Models,thats what my inpeller looks like,so I'm ok.The water pump rebuild kit did come with a new inpeller that you would have to use that disk.Thanks for the info Models.

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Jim - Where did you get your rebuild kit for your water pump?

TomO

Bam59

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
hi,, here is the back of a 348 water pump. stock i think. hope this helps

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Here's a photo of the inpeller that comes with the rebuild kit,this is the one that needs the disk.

Attachments

• Picture 251.jpg
    Picture 251.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Picture 252.jpg
    Picture 252.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 29

Bam59

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
i know that the iron impeller will outlast that stamped steel one by years.
not only well it rust bad but with the heat and no backing the blades will tend to bend
out flat. the stamped impeller will cavitate ( or beat the air out of the water )and pit the steel and will wear it out fast, it will cause heating of the water. the steel add on plate will help but not for long. if at all possible get a iron one.:deal
i do rebuilding of pumps,gear boxes and elect. motors for a living.

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey nuts, Give it up. I'll just give you a 350 for it and take that troublesome 09 off your hands.

Make sure your fan blade is half in and half out the fan shroud, if your using a clutch fan make sure the fan clutch isn't bad.

Ray

Snegrah

HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm in the middle of this swap as we speak!:eek: A few problems have cropped up but...maybe I should stop and reverse. Naw, I gotta' see it through. Right now I need a new water pump...after I got the new power steering brackets, new pulleys, new belts, new fuel line, heated up and rebent the Belanger headers, find a dip stick, etc.,etc.,etc.....

This will be my first 409. It's been dyno's at around 400 hp and 400+tq. Should be up and running in a week!

Tom

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
You Know

I did take a pic of you winning that first place! And that :D should be enough to keep it in there....

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
JimKwiatkowski said:
Nuts,stock size water pump pulley is 7 inch,I ran 190 on the highway and 200 deg in the city in 90 deg heat.I switched to a 6 inch water pulley and will test it Sunday
its going to be 90 deg.I will give you my report Sunday.

Nuts,I ran 5 to 10 deg cooler with a 6 inch water pump pulley in 95 deg heat,try a 6 inch pulley.