Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Completely rebuilt motor = $6000
Mounts for accessories = $500
11" Clutch and Bellhousing = $500
Dyno Check and Tune = $1000
Countless hours and other Misc things = $2000

Having a 409 in your 1962 BelAir Sports Coupe = $WORTHLESS - because you can't drive it anywhere....

This change over from the perfectly good running 327/300 hp to a 409 has truely been a PROJECT from hell !!!! If I don't find a solution to the overheating, oil pressure, A/C and noisey lifters in the next couple of weeks the 409 will be sitting on the floor of the shop insead of the 327 !!!!! :bang :cuss :mad:

johnnyrod

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Right on I dont blame you so can I have it. I will remove it and all the crap it has put you through. I love those belly button 327s. You go to a show and the guy says oh its another small block. Its the journey not the destination. Have a good day:D John

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Nutz,,, go ahead and VENT !!!!

I went through something similar with my build up !!!

How many times did I yank that engine ? how many times did I rebuild that engine?
And all this before I could get twenty minutes on that engine !!!!

You my friend only have minor problems !!! Frustrating ,,,, but minor !!

HANG IN THERE !!!!
It will all work out !!!,,,dq

61bubbletopx

maybe try a rat

cant go wrong with a big block the w motor is its grand pappy .but id go with the o9 they look just too cool when you pop the hood it was what gave me the drive too build mine in the end it was worth it good luck anyway keep yryin i think you will get it right:cool:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Think about it!

Nuts, think about the years of effort that went into restoring the body on that beautiful '62 sport coupe, then reflect on the trials you are going through with the engine build and you hopefully will come to the conclusion that the 409 is the perfect "fit" for your vehicle, not the SBC.

I had some issues when first fitting my engine together, and it just takes time and perserverance to see these things through, just like you did with the body restoration. I know you can see this through, and that this is a tough time right now. You'd rather be driving, I suspect.

Here's what I do. Keep a small block car that you can drive around, and when the other car is undergoing some debugging, drive the heck out of that one until you get the cool one figured out :). Works for me.

On the other hand, you know how much I covet those B over R '62 bubbletops, so you could just ship it to me for a few years while I sort all the kinks out :) :) :).

Hang in there, keep your head up and solve those problems. Next year you will soooooo glad you did, and when we get together the next time you can bring your proud offspring out for all of us to drool over!

Cheers!
TomK

Bam59

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Nuts,,i know what you mean, when i got this 348 it had some of the same things wrong. i'm buy far a expert but the guys here got me going. i even got my 44 hand gun out to shot the s.o.b. but a few beers later i was back to work.
1. are you sure the gauge's are right? my temp is off by 12 degrees it is a auto-meter, i checked it against a flute v.o.a. meter which is very accurate.
2. did you change the oil pressure gauge, let the air out off your gauge?
3. did not know you had a problem? with A/C
4. lifters, (first find if you have a oil pressure problem)

things you need.........beer :beerbang
things to remove........guns,tnt, c-4 :nono1:

409--worth it's weight in gold.:deal
327----very common
venting---priceless.
you will succeed :clap

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
awesume 327's

Hey Nut I agree with you and Johnnyrod........ those 327's a the best....... Johnnyrod is probably out of town so I could come and get the 409 out of your hair.

Quite honestly, I have had projects like that before, where nothing you touch seems to work properly...... I've made it through them and you will as well. Hang in there, relax & have a break....... the problems you're having will sort themselves out.

Dave

cspangler

I can almost put myself in your shoes! My problem is that I can't even get to the point of having overheating problems and noisy lifters because it seems that any manufacturer in the country that makes headers for these things that cost under $600 don't care at all weather they fill their orders! My 409 has been ready to put in my '61 belair since February and I am on my second vendor trying to get a set of Headers!!! I have a 283 in the car now and everywhere I go and pop the hood I get the usual, Oh, another small block. I always have to say, "I have a 09 on a stand at home, really I do!" I am hanging in there but i am now putting all my energy and money into building a 1966 427 biscayne. I can get parts for it!

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
cspangler said:
I can almost put myself in your shoes! My problem is that I can't even get to the point of having overheating problems and noisy lifters because it seems that any manufacturer in the country that makes headers for these things that cost under $600 don't care at all weather they fill their orders! My 409 has been ready to put in my '61 belair since February and I am on my second vendor trying to get a set of Headers!!! I have a 283 in the car now and everywhere I go and pop the hood I get the usual, Oh, another small block. I always have to say, "I have a 09 on a stand at home, really I do!" I am hanging in there but i am now putting all my energy and money into building a 1966 427 biscayne. I can get parts for it!

I know this isn`t really any help but consider haveing a custom set of headers made. Might be another $600 on top of the ones you can`t get but they will be made and fit better and also

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So how was the drive back from the show? Congrats on the first place as well!
VERY NICE CAR!!!
I'll be in that one next year as well:D The dash is almost done then it's on to the outside paint.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
She's Okay

Tic,

Everything went well coming and going to the show !!! :) It was nice to get recognized for the efforts on the car, and also nice to drive her around without worry about overheating. But then it was only 80 degrees !!! It was nice to meet you, and I look forward to seeing your car out and about soon. :)

We took her out for a longer drive on Sunday. Went to Ontario and back with no issues, other than the AC didn't work when I tried it. She ran along right at 170 degrees all the way there and back except on Eagle Road (Hell's 5 miles) where she got about 190 - 200, which I can live with. I've got a vacumm advance distributor coming and electric fan which I feel will help with the traffic situations and maybe we'll be doing some trouble free driving soon !!!! :clap :)

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Nuts said:
Tic,

Everything went well coming and going to the show !!! :) It was nice to get recognized for the efforts on the car, and also nice to drive her around without worry about overheating. But then it was only 80 degrees !!! It was nice to meet you, and I look forward to seeing your car out and about soon. :)

We took her out for a longer drive on Sunday. Went to Ontario and back with no issues, other than the AC didn't work when I tried it. She ran along right at 170 degrees all the way there and back except on Eagle Road (Hell's 5 miles) where she got about 190 - 200, which I can live with. I've got a vacumm advance distributor coming and electric fan which I feel will help with the traffic situations and maybe we'll be doing some trouble free driving soon !!!! :clap :)

RIGHT ON !!!!!!!

So,,,,,,,, We will see you In Portland at The Oldies but Goodies????
June 24-25th

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Darn-it !!!

DQ,

Dang I wish I could but there is just too much on the schedule right now.... Sure would be fun...:) :cool:

desapience

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
327, 468 ()454 .060 0ver), to 409 stroker 446.

Nuts,

My '55' Belair was first completed on Christmas Eve 1999, and professionally appraised for $30,000 back then. It had an all-out '327, lots of billet and chrome, and revved to high heaven, and was very quick, even with a TH350.

But, after about 6 months, I blew a head-gasket, and with the engine so completley pristime, I decided to remove the engine for the repair. Meanwhile, a guy I knew who had a pro-street 69 Camero showcar, that was once featured on HOTROD mag's cover, was looking to sell his 468, with the one-year run 396-427 Corvette cast-iron oval-port heads... I bought it lock, stock and barrel, and rebuilt it.

It ran for all of 45 minutes... the wrong valve springs were installed and it suffered from coil bind and killed the cam. It was a tough and expensive job installing the 468, while retaining the show-car status of the car. The shop built out a second 468 and GAVE it to me to make up for the hassle, but, it took months for me to recover the mindset to dig-in and remove the other 468 and install the other one. IT was a torque monster.. a nice 468 roller motor, and I did NOT baby it at all. The '55' was much better received by the cruise crowds too!

About 2 years later, the roller 468 lost significant power, which was later found to be because of cracked rings. I brought it back to the shop for another rebuild with the intention to anty up the power another notch, but, I had a friend who had a "spare" 409/425 he had stored for 30 years, as insurance for his original '63' 409. It took me over 18 months to talk him into selling it to me.., but, he did finally cave it. I bought it for $2,500 (plus other incentives), complete with a standard bore block, 583 heads and 2x4 intake, stock crank and pistons, etc.

It took 2 years from that point to thoroughly research and rebuild the engine (409/446), and to completely redo the '55' from the cowl forward. It took 9 installs of the engine before I got things precisely correct, and blistering the firewall and lead-soldering the finish work on it... The 10th and final install as like installing a factory engine -- everything fit perfectly.

I got the 409 engine back from the shop in early Augist 05, and had the car running before Thanksgiving 05.. and won 2 first prizes in the February 06 Super Chevy Show (best modified and best overall tri-5).

But, my initial research paid off... after proper prepping (pre-oiling, etc) the 446 fired right off, and actually -- no lie here -- idled nicely immediately following the initial 20 minute cam break-in at 2,500 rpm!

I was pleasantly surprised to say the least! Shakedown runs surfaced only minor problems that were readily fixed. And, let me tell you, this 409/446 runs just as strong as my 468 roller motor ever did, and it was FAST! And, I'm using the very same 700R4 and rear-end as I did with the 468!

But, as far as eye-candy goes, nothing GM makes/made comes even close to a dressed-up 409 sitting in an engine bay (other than maybe an old Hemi). And, the cruise crowds love it! It never fails to attract people and gain countless cudos.

All I can say to you is that once you get it right, you will never regret all the work and frustration you put into it.

Keep at it... do not give up!

Denis

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Nuts,
I agree with Denis,you would be nuts to remove your 409 and install your 327.I've had my 409 in my 57 for 25 years,when I showed my 57 I also had many 1st place trophys because of the 409.Keep the 409 in the 62 and you should have all the bugs worked out soon :D

Its going to be 90 deg here in Michigan on Sunday and thats going to be a good test for my new cooling system,I'm keeping my fingers that I don't run over 200 deg :D

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Nuts said:
Completely rebuilt motor = $6000
Mounts for accessories = $500
11" Clutch and Bellhousing = $500
Dyno Check and Tune = $1000
Countless hours and other Misc things = $2000

Having a 409 in your 1962 BelAir Sports Coupe = $WORTHLESS - because you can't drive it anywhere....

This change over from the perfectly good running 327/300 hp to a 409 has truely been a PROJECT from hell !!!! If I don't find a solution to the overheating, oil pressure, A/C and noisey lifters in the next couple of weeks the 409 will be sitting on the floor of the shop insead of the 327 !!!!! :bang :cuss :mad:

Don't give up on the 409 that's the best engine ever made and when you go to car shows the people love'em. I had a lot of overheating problems with my 63 biscayne then I put in a 7blade aluminum fan that the circle trackers use and even with a 4 core rad. the car would get hot so one day going to a car show we were sitting in traffic waiting to get in and the temp got to 220 degrees and i was pissed then I turned on the heater and the temp dropped like a rock and I thought huh. So now I added a 16" 3000 cfm spall fan with a relay blowing twards the radiator and can sit in traffic forever and it stays at 170 degrees.
Also I learned on my 68 firebird which had the same problem the the coolant was going thurogh the rad. too fast replaced the hi volume water pump with an old stocker with less blades on the impeller and wa-lah no more over heating hope this helps and I will always help out a fellow 409er when ever I can. If you need any more help just PM me any time.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
She does draws a crowd !!!

All,

Thanks for all the encouragement !!!! :) You are right she does draw a crowd everywhere I go. Last weekend at the car show people would come back more than once and look at the motor. I have not given up on her and continue to make some slow but steady progress towards my goal of being able to cruise in traffic without overheating. :) :cool: