KIT EXHAUST SYSTEM OR LOCAL MUFFLER SHOP

july2849

Well Known Member
IM PUTTING A NEW EXHAUST SYSTEM ON MY 59 CAMINO-348 ENGINE. I WANT A HEALTHY SOUNDING CAR.
TRYING TO DECIDE IF I SHOULD BY A KIT AND SELECT A MUFFLER OR HAVE A LOCAL EXHAUST SHOP TO THE WORK.
ANY ADVICE IS WELCOME.
I DO HAVE A SET OF DOUGS HEADERS FROM A PREVIOUS 348 PROJECT BUT ON THE FENCE AS TO USE THEM OR NOT. THE CAR IS PRETTY ORIGINAL EXCEPT FOR A DUAL 4 SETUP ON A 409 MANIFOLD, MY DOINGS.
ALSO COULD USE A RECOMMENDATION ON THE BEST MUFFLER TO USE-WAS PLANNING ON A 2.5" SYSTEM

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Both are good choices, if you want too do the work or have a muffler shop do it is your choice. I ordered and did the work as I did not want too tow the car or drive it without an exhaust too the muffler shop.

Most parts houses make an exact fit exhaust for the Camino, just some light cutting for the fit. The only thing you'll need is the down pipes if you use the factory exhaust or the shop can make them and you will have ripples in the bend.

Your choice :drinking

425/409ER

Well Known Member
I always make my own exhaust systems as I have a nice welder to do so, but those who don't would be better off with a kit. The exhaust shops now around where I live are unaffordable.

Reactions: 327

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I prefer an exhaust shop. They can modify the exhaust any way you like, and even try a few options of mufflers to get the sound you are after. That, and I am an exhaust shop so I am a bit biased. The comment on price is a valid one. Custom exhaust is not cheap. Usually labor heavy.

427John

Well Known Member
A lot of it depends on the exhaust shops in your area,the ones I've used I've always been happy with the work.I always use the advice an old school muffler guy gave me years ago,when you walk into the shop look around and look to see if you see any gas welding setups,he said if you see nothing but wire feed rigs find another shop.