Lakes plugs?

Ed51

Supporting Member 1
When I was in high school near Chicago in the mid-60s ,a lot of the guys running Impalas had these capped exhaust dumps exiting right behind the front wheels that you could unbolt the caps and have open exhaust. I thought they looked pretty good and I would like to put some on my 63. I think they were called lakes plugs. Anyone know where to get them?

bobs409

Administrator
Not sure if it's the same thing but I've heard of "cutouts" or "exhaust cutouts". These are "Y" shaped pipes that goes in the exhaust system after the headers.

I recall seeing these in J.C. Whitney catalogs.

Not legal in all states so before buying any, you might check that first.

Ed51

Supporting Member 1
These things were not y-shaped,they were basically a pipe about 12-18 inches long with 2 bolt end caps on them like the ones you see on leadsled customs "lakers",and chromed of course. Being only a foot and a half long I believe that is why they called 'em plugs. They were welded to the headpipe on chevys where it curved around the x-frame before the muffler and came out just under the front fender behind the tire. I had a friend with 62 that had them and I always thought it looked cool. :cool:

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Like this?

Attachments

• resize of re-exposure of dumps.jpg
    resize of re-exposure of dumps.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 174

Ed51

Supporting Member 1
Not exactly,they were at about 75-80 degrees in relation to the rocker panel not quite perpendicular but angled to the rear slightly. I like the ones in your picture though,I assume they are routed to your exhaust system from the inboard side.Are they custom-made or are they available from some supplier?

Ed51

Supporting Member 1
YES!!!! THAT'S THE ONE. I wish they made them in a larger diameter .Thanks , Ed:D

ss409cid

Well Known Member
Cut outs

We used to make our cut pipes out of 2 - 2 1/2 galvanized plumbing pipe with a screw on cap. Just weld the treaded pipe into the exaust and screw on the cap to close the exaust. Man we were cool:cool: .

merc50

I have the dump tubes in that ad on my 50 merc (had em fer years and they are hooked up) and I plan to put them on my Chevy 409 when I get it. I love the look and sound myself...it is funny how many kats have dump tubes (and lake pipes) not hooked up...when I run them uncapped people are amazed because in the kustom world it seems no one bothers to do it.