Lakewood ladder bars

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Maybe it's the beer or the dust but I am lost on installing my lakewoord ladder bars on my 60.
I found the VERY simple instructions but they lack in pictures :D
Do the ladder bars go inside of the control arms closser to the diff? It say to remove the lower shock stud. So I am guessng it goes next to the control arm rather than the shock side of the stud :dunno
heep!

Here is what I found http://go.mrgasket.com/pdf/20463.pdf

thanks

Oh it's also been one year since I started this this month and it's almost ready.

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
In 1964 did they change the rear control arms? Anyone have a pic of this area on a 64? I figured out how the rear part of the ladder bar goes on over the shock stud BUT the front connection seems wrong.

mpris

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tic here is a picture of my left side 64. I don't know if it has what you are looking for in it or not. I have some full shots of the rear underneath, but when you zoom in they are not very clear.

Poocho

Attachments

• DSC02854Forum.jpg
    DSC02854Forum.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 102

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks that's pretty close. A shot of the rear shock mount from the rear is what I need to see the angles.

I just do not see why ladder bars made for a 64-72 Chevy will not fit a 60. Same frame on a 64 as a 60 right? I tried every consevable position but they just do not fit.

I may cuT the part off that goes to the lower trailing arm then build my own mounts up front and rear using the length off these brackets.

thanks

M:)

mpris

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tic, here are some more pictures which may be more of what you want.

Poocho

Attachments

• DSC01864Forum.JPG
    DSC01864Forum.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC01871Forum.jpg
    DSC01871Forum.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 93

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thank you!! That's the same as mine so I give. They say they will fit 64 to 72 chevy coil spring cars ....mmmm

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
years fit

Tic,

Are you sure on those years? I think it should be 65 to 72. There is no way a part that fits them will fit a 64. IMO Completely different frames and suspension.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Tic,
I wonder if those are GM A-body ladder bars??:dunno I could see the 64-72 year application fitting that chassis.
Ross

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I think both of you are correct. These are for a different frame for sure. I took the whole rear side apart with no luck other than sore hands. So like any good hot rodder I'll make the things fit :) And work. Not much demand for them so they are not of historical value.

Thanks everyone! Ross I got that fan sitting here!! I think it's off a 69-70 BBC Impala though but if you want it shoot me an address. The clutch is good but I use an 18" elect fan so it needs a home.

thanks

Mike

Gus68

Well Known Member
ladder bars

I belive they are talking about 64-72 chevelles (Cutlass, GTO, Skylark). 64-72 chevelles all have the same basic chassis.

tatt2jim

those ladder bars will not work that style is tottally different i have a set of nmw ladder bars for the x frame brand new just need the front bushings , ithey have a bracket that welds to the frame at the rear of trans tunnel and the rear part that goes to the rear is on an angle so the ladder bars are close together in the front i can try and get a pic for you of them to show what im talking about .

jim

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I had ladder bars on my 62 when I got it.
I had plenty of picture of them but lost them all on a computer wipe.
I`m still checking around to see if I can find a copy of them somewhere,,

The bars may be off now but all the mounts are still on the car. I`ll try and get some new pictures this week sometime,,,dq

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
tatt2jim said:
those ladder bars will not work that style is tottally different i have a set of nmw ladder bars for the x frame brand new just need the front bushings , ithey have a bracket that welds to the frame at the rear of trans tunnel and the rear part that goes to the rear is on an angle so the ladder bars are close together in the front i can try and get a pic for you of them to show what im talking about .

jim

Pictures would be great. A set that would work would even be better :) I could cut the side brackets off and build the front part pretty esily.
See mine here myladders.jpg
Anyone got some hidden away ?
Here's some others
NMW LADDER BARS.jpg ladderbars.jpg

tatt2jim

i have a set of those brand new just dont have front bushings , ihave a pic but cant get it uploaded its too big ,if you want the set i have make me an offer

Gus68

Well Known Member
bars

Just a thought. I have thought about installing ladder bars on my 62 (cause it wheel hops BAD!!) and cause they would look cool and 60's ish. BUT wouldnt they bind up the suspension REALY bad and make it ride rough??? Plus they might bind so bad that they could posibly crack the controll arm mounts?? I know people have used them. But I just thought about the differences in the arc of the controll arms and the ladder bars. Just a thought.

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have never used a set before either but I have heard
1. They make the ride rough
2. As long as the front mount is correct there is no binding issues

Just what I have heard. If someone else can fill in the blanks Please do.

thanks

M:)

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I heard all that ruff and binding stuff also.
I had ladder bars on my 62 when i got it and took them off due to what people said about the binding.

Funny thing is it rode the same now as it did then !!
I saved them and might put them back on some day.

I think Tic hit it on the nose,,, installed correctly !!:clap

Try air bags that go inside the rear coils to help with the wheel hop.
Summit has them,,dq
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=AIR%2D60713&N=4294925130+400054+4294873392+4294908216+4294924456+115&autoview=sku