Last of the problems, I think, I hope

zootzee

Well Known Member
Ok I have everything hooked up, all body parts are back on, switches, wipers, lights all work.

2 problems though.

1. when I put the fuel filter back in the carb, it doesn't stay running. I add gas through the carb and it will start but stop. So the filter (that is new) is restricting the gas? Should I put in a inline filter? The problem with that is I don't want to cut the factory line from the pump to the carb. The filter that I bought is a metal one not the paper one (if they still make them or not).

Which brings up to problem,

2. after cranking the engine over for a few minutes, it won't crank anymore. Nothing no click not a thing. After a few minutes it cranks again no problems. Could this be the starter solenoid over heating??

Thanks all after this I hope to get it on the road so I can shop around for some body work and paint.

bobs409

Administrator
I like to put an inline filter in the rubber hose that goes into the fuel pump. That way you don't cut any steel lines. If you do this, just take the bronze filter out of the carb.

zootzee

Well Known Member
I was thinking about putting the inline filter before the carb and getting the clear one to see what was going on. But I was told that the filter should only go after the pump and those clear filters were poop.

How do I check the fuel pressure??

dgwar

Well Known Member
unhook the Bat. or + wire from the coil (you don't want any spark) unhook the fuel line at the carb put that line in a jar, and have someone crank it over, you should see a good stream of gas coming out as it cranks over.
Warning, be really careful, you don't want a fire. A garden hose on and in reach would be nice too.

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I was thinking about putting the inline filter before the carb and getting the clear one to see what was going on. But I was told that the filter should only go after the pump and those clear filters were poop.

How do I check the fuel pressure??

I have this big huge can before my pump:) I did this even before I went electric because the old tanks have crap in them and that crap gets into your pump, either diaphram or electric and they dont last to long.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
dqwar,

I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know what you're talking about, sorry !!! I just always heard that gasoline fire and water, didn't mix, because it just spread the fire ?? :dunno

Oh, by the way - Thanks for your service.

Bill