LBJ's 409

ToddK

I have LBJ's 1965 Glastron boat given to him in 1965 by Glastron boats. It has freeze cracks running horizontally on the sides of the blocks about 1 inch under the heads. Might be a crack in the cylinder. Can 409 cylinders be sleeved? Can these cracks be fixed? Obviously, I want to keep the original motor in this boat. Thanks in advance for your help.

Todd
Classic Glastron Owners Association
www.classicglastron.com

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Todd Welcome to the site and Congratulations on your great 409 find :) Yes the 409 block can be welded,make sure you find an experienced welder that knows how to weld cast iron.New sleeves can be installed in the 409 block.

Do a search on this site and use the keywords (cracked block) and (cylinder sleeves) and you can find out alot more useful info.

ToddK

Sleeve a marine engine?

Thanks for your reply. How does a sleeve work in a 409 cylinder since the top part of the cylinder isn't perpendicular to the bore? And in the case of my marine engine there is an "added" cutout area at the very top of the cylinder. I'll try to attach a picture. Thanks in advance for your help and thanks for information already give.!!

Todd

Attachments

• cylinder-zoom.jpg
    cylinder-zoom.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 128

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Todd,, As Jim said, this is a common problem seen in 409s. No big deal. I assume you are in south-east Texas, souldnt be a problem finding a skilled cast iron welder. Same for sleeve installation. The cutout area you describe is common "truck block". No surprise it is a marine application also. A liitle research, and you can find your answers. I would also recommend that you find an engine builder that is familiar with 409s when the time comes. If you want to drag it up here to north-east Texas, I will take care of all of it for you.

ToddK

I'm near Dallas

Hi Ronnie,

Perhaps I can have you help me since I'm in Dallas, within 100 miles of you. I'll send you an email.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Ronnie did you race 409s at Greenvalley or Dallas International(Lake Dallas)? My 64 I raced in '72 at DIMS in the IHRA classes.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Skip, raced at Green Valley a lot. Spectator only at Dallas International . Spent those years out of racing. Have tried to send you personal message, but it shows " Unread" Figured you must have ----Ronnie Russell Blocker---- on your computer. Contact me at ronnier@chilitech.com Wanted to know if there are any weekly 409 bracket racers in the Houston area.