Leaf Season has Officially Begun

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
We have 2 Maple tree's in our yard.:doh Worst tree's ever.:mad Red seedling's, whirlybirds and leaves. :bonkThe tree next to our house, has damaged both our main roof, and porch roof. One year, we had an unusual heavy snowfall, in October 4, 1987. Snow was too heavy, because the tree's still had leaves on them. :dropTree branches were snapping off. Sounded like gunfire.:hide Back in 2001 Lightning hit the same tree, and several branches came down and hit the main roof. Luckily the Insurance paid for everything.:appl

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
We have 2 Maple tree's in our yard.:doh Worst tree's ever.:mad Red seedling's, whirlybirds and leaves. :bonkThe tree next to our house, has damaged both our main roof, and porch roof. One year, we had an unusual heavy snowfall, in October 4, 1987. Snow was too heavy, because the tree's still had leaves on them. :dropTree branches were snapping off. Sounded like gunfire.:hide Back in 2001 Lightning hit the same tree, and several branches came down and hit the main roof. Luckily the Insurance paid for everything.:appl
They may be bad but the worst tree is a sweet gum with the dreaded SPIKE BALLS!!!!!!! Those things don't even break down over the winter, you rake them up and then in the summer you decide to go outside in your bare feet and step on one of those balls that is hiding in the grass, YIKES does that hurt. :angry

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Steve; I think, up our way, they are called Honey Locust.:doh We have two in our yard. They drop green balls, on the ground. The bark of the tree's have 1 1/2 inch long spikes. :gaahThey grow Very Fast.:bang Luckily, they are further down, in our yard, away from activities.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I know the trees you are talking about, we have locust here also with big thorns on the bark. A sweet gum is a beautiful tree and has great color in the fall but they grow these balls that fall to the ground in the winter that are a little smaller than a golf ball and covered with spikes (seed pod I guess), they are a popular tree but the spike balls suck.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I know the trees you are talking about, we have locust here also with big thorns on the bark. A sweet gum is a beautiful tree and has great color in the fall but they grow these balls that fall to the ground in the winter that are a little smaller than a golf ball and covered with spikes (seed pod I guess), they are a popular tree but the spike balls suck.
I'd cut it down.:D

Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
When it rains a lot I get some kind of seed pods washed down the street . They are red and horseshoe shaped not quite that shape and you see the bulge of the seeds. What tree are these from ????? If I find out I'll cut it down!! :D

Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
When I bought my first house there was a thorn evergreen next to garage door and one on the other corner of the house. Got tired of being stuck, yep I took em out...:D