Leaning Impala

Grant Glascock

We just finished restoring our '63 Impala 409. Imagine our consternation when we discovered that the car leans about 1-3/4" (front and back) on the drivers side. We are ordering new coil springs, hoping that is the cause. Anybody have this issue before?

bobs409

Administrator
Moving this to the full size forum. :)

Can't help with your question but thought I'd mention my 63 sits lower on the driver rear too. I haven't looked into the reason yet.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
check the pockets

If springs are out of the pocket on opposite side it will cause that side to ride high. I did this on the front of mine at one time and the spring must have rotated when I buttoned up the upper ball joint.

Old School

Supporting Member 1
Tired springs no doubt the factor. Usually caused by the car being weighted by a heavy driver and no passenger..

Sorry Bob! '

Mick

bobs409

Administrator
Tired springs? But their only 44 years old. :dunno :D

My 63 sat like this when I bought it back in 1981. Not sure what the previous owners looked like but they were all female. Front driver seat isn't worn out so that's a good sign anyway. :p

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
We're there a bunch of McDonald, Burger King, or Wendy's wrappers under the driver's side seat?:doh That might explain it.:roll

Grant Glascock

Leaning Chevy

Well, I put new coil springs under it and it sits almost perfectly straight. Thanks for all your replies. Must have been A&W and Dairy Queen wrappers as the car hadn't been driven since the 70's.