Life.....

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
It's been a while. I've not posted since Thompson. I met a few of you. And had a very nice time. Wish I could have met more people. The family was there and they seemed to enjoy the racing.

I have been struggling with a few issues. Before Thompson I was scrambling to get my ugly 61 running right , to no avail. It has been put on hold again. As I mention to a couple of you, I am in the midst of a 409 build. Hope it goes like stink. It is the most I have ever spent on an engine. I think I am nearing $5000 for the engine and trans. I haven't seen my block in 6 weeks, but I have been in contact with the shop. I am waiting on other parts as well. When the parts do arrive this to will be on hold, or at least very slow going.

I am not sure why I feel compelled to do this posting. I don't normally bother anyone with my personal issues.
This is the one that has slowed me down. My wife, Teresa, has breast cancer. We found out the week before Thompson. No, the situation is not grim. This cancer is slow growing and less aggressive than other. The kind you want if you have to have cancer, I guess. All is as good as it can be considering. Surgery for lymph node remove went well. Lymph Nodes where negative and there was a genetic test that was negative as well. It meant that the cancer traits where not likely passed on to my daughters. Chemo has started. No sickness yet. Drugs take care of that. In the near future there will be a double mastectomy and the reconstructive surgery. The process will not be done for 12 months. Then who knows. The girls and I have to do the heavier lifting for Teresa now. See is tired some days. Everything has been getting back more towards normal, if that can be. I may have more opportunity to work in more car stuff. Maybe catch up on some 409 reading.

Anyway, my family and I will muddle through.

bobs409

Administrator
I'm very sorry to hear that Thomas. I fear that C word and try not to think about it. It doesn't run in my family but ya never know...

I hope all goes well for your wife. Hang in there.

Bob

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
It's been a while. I've not posted since Thompson. I met a few of you. And had a very nice time. Wish I could have met more people. The family was there and they seemed to enjoy the racing.

I have been struggling with a few issues. Before Thompson I was scrambling to get my ugly 61 running right , to no avail. It has been put on hold again. As I mention to a couple of you, I am in the midst of a 409 build. Hope it goes like stink. It is the most I have ever spent on an engine. I think I am nearing $5000 for the engine and trans. I haven't seen my block in 6 weeks, but I have been in contact with the shop. I am waiting on other parts as well. When the parts do arrive this to will be on hold, or at least very slow going.

I am not sure why I feel compelled to do this posting. I don't normally bother anyone with my personal issues.
This is the one that has slowed me down. My wife, Teresa, has breast cancer. We found out the week before Thompson. No, the situation is not grim. This cancer is slow growing and less aggressive than other. The kind you want if you have to have cancer, I guess. All is as good as it can be considering. Surgery for lymph node remove went well. Lymph Nodes where negative and there was a genetic test that was negative as well. It meant that the cancer traits where not likely passed on to my daughters. Chemo has started. No sickness yet. Drugs take care of that. In the near future there will be a double mastectomy and the reconstructive surgery. The process will not be done for 12 months. Then who knows. The girls and I have to do the heavier lifting for Teresa now. See is tired some days. Everything has been getting back more towards normal, if that can be. I may have more opportunity to work in more car stuff. Maybe catch up on some 409 reading.

Anyway, my family and I will muddle through.
Thomas,
I'm really sorry to hear that. The most important thing now is giving your wife and family all the support they need. Car stuff may have to be a very low priority for a while, but I know I'm not telling you anything you didn't already know.
Our prayers are with her, you, and your girls.:pray

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thomas, It was a real pleasure getting the chance to meet you at Thompson. I even thought about sending you a P.M. and checking to see if you made it home okay, because I noticed you have not been on the forum since Thompson. Now, I understand. Really tough stuff to deal with. Our prayers go out for your wife's recovery and for strength to the rest of the family. If we can be of any help, please ask.

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks

Just sitting here catching up on some important reading :crazy
Wife took the kids to a swimming party.... :cool:
I suppose I should be mowing, digging, trimming, pulling, fixing, repairing something
:?:dunno:bang:D
back to work:bang

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Tom good to hear that things are now going better. The 409 can wait until when the family items are going better.
robert

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Thomas,
I'm very sorry to hear that your wife is struggling, never feel bad about sharing your personal struggles with this group. We all care and you can never have too many prayers being said.
Hang in there, you and your family are on our prayer list.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Best wishes

Thomas:

Sorry to learn of your wife's situation, we all hope that resolves itself in due time. Modern medicine is truly amazing, let's put our trust in those qualified folks. Give lots of support to your wife and to the girls.

Our prayers are with you and your family.

Best,
TomK

Tony Salins

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thomas,
We just wanted you to know that your wife and your whole family are in our prayers.

Tony and Bonnie

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Thomas

It sounds like tough times right now but with all the improvements in treating cancers hopefully everything will go well.

Best wishes for you and the family.

Bill

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hey Tom, What they said. My wife & I have put you & your family in our prayers. Every one on this site wish your wife a speedy recovery.:pray:cheers

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
We're all pulling for you and Teresa. The next few months will be tough for sure but hopefully things will return to normal after that.

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thomas, I wish you and your family strength through this.......... my thoughts are with you.

Dave

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Thomas

Thomas, my prayers are with you and your family. Tell your wife all of her friends here wish her well. God bless . Brian

wally409

Well Known Member
Recommend a book to read during Teresa's treatments

Hi Thomas - I'm a cancer survivor (Hodgkin's 1994) and would ask that you find a book by Dr. Bernie Siegel called "Love, Medicine & Miracles".
A friend gave it to me before my first chemo treatment and it was a huge part of my healing and I hope that you find it helpful as well. Read it together - it's fabulous.
Especially read the part near the end when Dr. Siegel takes you through a process of visualization to help Teresa with inner healing.
I used to think this was 'voodoo' stuff but it was a big part of getting me through the very difficult parts of treatments.
Eat well, exercise as much as you can and try to laugh as often as possible. It will help you all to get through the dark moments.
I watched a lot of Cheech and Chong movies. (My favorite is "Nice Dreams")
If C&C is not to her liking, get comedies on a regular basis and giggle a lot.
Godspeed to both of you and your family. Please let us know how Teresa is on a regular basis.
I'm praying that God helps you through this - one day at a time.
Wally

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Here's hoping for the best for you and yours.

Ya'll are truly in our thoughts and prayers.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
May God's peace and strength be with Teresa, you and your family Thomas. You will all be in my prayers.

DIV1RACER-2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Tom,
I know these are difficult times for you & you wife , but i can say as a person who has been thru this very thing Keep you spirits up. My now ex-wife was diagnosed w/ breast cancer oct of 1993.

I thought my world was going to come apart . The more people that found out of this problem would make a point to keep offering survivor stories. Some were 10-20 -30 yrs. & longer . All helped to incourage us along the way . I must say that she is now nearly 16yrs. cancer free and doing well .

Your friends and family & everyones prayers help. I will say one for you and your wife !!

oil4kids

Well Known Member
Tom

Please wish your wife our best wishes and success for a cure.

I became disgusted with the slow process of cancer research and I started a new direction in cancer therapy

I just presented my research in Houston Texas at the 2009 nano conference

http://www.nsti.org/Nanotech2009/abs.html?i=1622

of course this is in between working on the 409