Like to hear from the "Riders"

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I know we have some motorcycle riders here, so I'm going to ask this question and hope to get an answer to something that frustrated me again this weekend. We were taking a drive along a two lane road, headed towards a remote diner, we enjoy. It's about a 21 mile drive, along a river with lots of curves.

As we started on the two lane, road we came up behind a group of about 15-20riders, out for a Sunday ride. They were traveling along about 10-15 MPH below the posted speed (50 MPH). Some were also running two per lane and leaving no room for anyone to merge, streched out for close to a 1/4 of a mile. This made it impossible to pass them, even though they were running way under the posted speed. :bang:takethat

This was very frustrating to me, eventhough I was not really in a hurry. Cars who are holding up traffic are required to pull over and use the slow vehicle turn outs. But we passed a police man along the route and he didn't even blink ? :dunno

I didn't want to start a big pissing contest, so I didn't hook or speak to any of them when we got to the location. What's a guy too do ??? :dunno

Bill

bignbad60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Enjoy the scenery, life goes by to fast as it is.....The groups I've ridden with have never been accused of going too slow

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I have been in that situation myself. Although I am a motorcycle rider I have very low tolerance for that kind of inconsiderate arrogance. I had a situation once where a group of crotch rocket riders were taking up both lanes on a 4 lane highway, I used the oncoming passing lane to pass the whole bunch much to their displeasure. I would not recommend this. Best to pull off for a spell and enjoy a coke until the snobs are well out in front and maybe have taken another route.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Enjoy the scenery, life goes by to fast as it is.....The groups I've ridden with have never been accused of going too slow

Never liked riding with that many people. I like the quote above about never accused of going too slow. No good answer from me about what to do except as what Fathead said about taking a break.:cheers:cheers:cheersBeer is good food.:dunno:dunno

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
That simply is inconsiderate!! If we get a group of 8-10 riders...we break up into 2 groups and space ourselves out about a quarter mile.

But then our group doesn't run 10 miles under the limit either!!!!:roll:roll:roll

Just BAD manners!!!

bobs409

Administrator
It's my understanding they will speed up when they feel your front bumper rubbing their back tires. :roll

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:rolleyes: At Least you guys are dealing with motorcycles.Here we have a problem with groupes of DC idiots:cuss on BICYLES:bang on two lane country roads :takethat.We call them "Road Hogs" in mixed company.:deal

Fiftiesman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Possibly

Bill,

I have done alot of riding in groups and when there are a few 'new' riders that aren't use to riding in a group, it has a tendancy to slow the whole group down. Not the best of sitsuations either because it does add another element to the ride. Of course taking the ride on a winding road doesn't help things much either. Most groups (road captains) are very approachable and wouldn't think it hostle of anyone who would come up and ask them to be bit more aware of what type of condition they are inducing by riding way below the speed limit. They might not of even have realized what was happening (I know.. might be hard to believe) and suprisingly apologize for the inconsideration. Of course they could've been that 'other' type of MC group and not given a sh*t what others thought... in that case a few cold ones during a break on the side of the road would've been the thing to do.

JMHbikerO

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I've been on both sides of that deal, but most guys I ride with are well over the speed limit and don't ride in large groups because it is a PITA.

Then it seems like you encounter a mile-long string of vacationers with an overloaded RV leading the pack at 50 or so, with nowhere to pass the whole mob.

All goes back to consideration, some folks don't have it regardless of how they choose to travel.