Limited slip? Does that mean posi?

bobs409

Administrator
Don't laugh at me but I need to know. Is a limited slip rear always a posi rear? I found one in a 64 Buick Electra. Back end is stuck in the dirt so I couldn't try spinning it but I was able to reach under and remove the tag on the filler plug. It's metal and says to use special fluid for a limited slip rear.

Please tell me this is a POSI!!!! This baby has the X frame and I bet the whole rear would bolt right in a Chevy.

Thanks,

Bob

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Positraction is a Chevy word, everybody else called it limited slip and still do. You can continue to be happy with your purchase.

Don

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
all in the name

It means there is limited slippage in the diff. Like going around corners.

bobs409

Administrator
Here's what a Buick tag looks like if anyone was wondering.

Woohoo! I finally found a posi in the junkyard! :bow :beerbang

Attachments

• 100_7905.jpg
    100_7905.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 85

bobs409

Administrator
I guess this won't bolt into a Chevy according to Hollanders. No biggie, I'll ebay it! :D

I can't find it now but I saw just the posi center section from a 60's Buick go for over 7 bills on ebay recently. Dang, wish I could find that ended auction. :grumble:

Bob

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
you dont want to know

A friend of mine bought a posi for his 63 Wildcat last year. I asked him how much? He said you don't want to know.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Positraction is a Chevy word, everybody else called it limited slip and still do. You can continue to be happy with your purchase.

Don

I thought Ford was the one that used the phrase Positraction and GM used Limited Slip.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I recall, Chevy used the term Posi-traction, and I believe Ford used the term Traction-Loc.:clap

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Bob,
from what I've seen on EvilBay the last couple years the value appears relative to the ratio of the rear. Mid 3 series (3.36 to 3.70) seem to bring around $700 with lower and higher ratios bringing less. I guess the market for 4.11s and 4.56s is small enough that they don't get a lot of bids and nobody wants a 3.08. :dunno

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I thought Ford was the one that used the phrase Positraction and GM used Limited Slip.

Dan, a neighbor has a 58 Impala with posi, they had this on the dash:

506010.jpg

Don

bobs409

Administrator
Dick,

This is more a luxury car so I would think it's going to be the mid series. Would be funny if it had 4.56's though. :roll Car is loaded with everything but AC and power locks. It even has cruise control but everything for that is frozen up unfortunately.

Can't wait to check the ratio...

Bob

Bob,
from what I've seen on EvilBay the last couple years the value appears relative to the ratio of the rear. Mid 3 series (3.36 to 3.70) seem to bring around $700 with lower and higher ratios bringing less. I guess the market for 4.11s and 4.56s is small enough that they don't get a lot of bids and nobody wants a 3.08. :dunno

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hey Don, I have that exact same "positraction "emblem on the dash of my '57. I had completely forgotten where it came from.:dohIt has been there ever since 1968 when I put in the '68 Camaro 12 bolt out of a new car that was wrecked.:cheers:cheers

3483x2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Some of you may recall GM (back in the day) offered a special limited slip lubricant.

(Don't cringe but it consisted of whale oil as I understand)

About 20 years ago I was fortunate enough to get the remains of a 30 gal drum yielding about a 1 1/2 gallons all stored away.

Haven't comparison searched for this for some time, but if you get your hands on some, it's what you'll want.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Correct.... it had whale oil as an additive. After a certain year whale oil was dropped and a synthetic compound was substituted but I don't recall the year but the price went way up. Then allot of us bought it all up and we have saved it ever since, I have heard that there is a synthetic substitute offered by an oil company and they might be the ones who private labeled it for GM for many years after "whale" oil.
robert

bobs409

Administrator
I got the rear finally. Anyone know where the codes are on this? It's fairly rusty.

I'll do the "spin the drum and count the driveshaft revolutions" trick to estimate gear ratio but would like to confirm with codes.

Once I remove the cut in half shocks and springs, etc, I'll clean it up a bit and put it on ebay.

Hoping for a big time sale! :cool:

Attachments

• 100_8132.jpg
    100_8132.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 53

TONY0707

Well Known Member
hi my chevy was a posi in 1963---538 gears -- with 8 inch slicks -on the street- set up for the 1/8 mile -turned 3200 RPMS on the parkway at 50 MPH--you could watch the gas guage move -but it just did not matter then-gas was 32 cents a gallon