LMBRJQ60-Steve Update

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hi Guys,
I haven't been on here in too long and need to get my habit going again.
Back in September last year i was going through a very dark period in my recent life, I had been managing an industrial electrical company with a staff level of 34 staff.
I have been working there for 23 years in Christchurch. Well i was getting to a point where I didn't want to go to work and being a guy who had months of sick leave stored up I was starting to use it to just take a break. I could not handle dealing with everyone's excuses for why they didn't follow instructions, why they didn't turn up to the job, why they hadn't filled in paper work, why they took 8 hours to do a 2 hour job and so on. this was my job to fire fight and keep customers happy, the bottom line up and everyone happy.
It finally got to me and i was not thinking rationally in relation to my life in general.

At this time my nephew who had started a custom car business 3 years earlier had been chasing me and Lynette to return to our home town of Invercargill and wanted me to work for him. on the floor and sort out some things like health and safety, ordering, stock etc.

I talked with Lynette at length about a possible move south. We had just got our house all renovated and everything sorted out really nice.

Lynette got offered the chance to do her same job selling advertising solutions from remote with a return to Christchurch for 3 days per month.

To fund the move and be less beholding to the bank we had to sell the 60 impala which we have had since 2007. that was a sad day.

We still have the 61 sports coupe and it will be progressing soon.

we have purchased a house 1938 era, needs a lot of work which is in contrast to our 2000 era house in Christchurch.

but we are now less beholding to the bank financially, getting a 7Mx 12M shed built for a workshop and car shed. finished in a couple of months i recon.

The Job.

Real Steel Customs

Cory and his buddy Scott own it
Myself as full time employee and my brother Dave as part time.
Currently in the shop is a 54 chev 2 door with twin turbo LS and auto full build
78K20 400CI and manual RHD conversion and panel and paint
57 4 door pillarless blown 496CI BBC
my 66 impala wagon 350 TH350
63 belair wagon LS 4 speed TH700
67 chevelle 383 and TH350 EFI
58 nomad 350 and turbo glide

i am now haveing a ball doing a job i love, 4x 10 hour days, every friday off.
4 weeks annual leave a year
Use of the workshop and equipment when ever i want

Well i will update this thread with some photos

I realise that the vehicles are not all what you would all like to see on here but they are mostly USA and V8 so im happy.

So that is where we are and i hope to be on here a bit more

Still looking for front and rear exterior window SS trim for a 61 bubble top hint hint

66 impala wagon tail light lenses are also hard to find and not sure if reproduced

Well must go and get dinner ready, loving life again

Steve

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I might be able to help on this -I have two friends I can ask.
"Still looking for front and rear exterior window SS trim for a 61 bubble top hint hint "

I know what you are referring to on that job you left. I did a similar thing -except I just retired after 50 years in Civil Engineering
Paul

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
thanks guys,
I am truly blessed to have Lynette as my Wife.
She is as much into the cars as i am and pushes me to keep at it.
better me in the shed than at the pub. lol
It was a big decision for us both to make, selling the car was a major for us both but if we didnt then we would have still had to find another storage space for it etc and i like building them as much as driving them so the fact that we still have the 61 to finish and it is not far away from paint prep made it a bit easier

Steve

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I might be able to help on this -I have two friends I can ask.
"Still looking for front and rear exterior window SS trim for a 61 bubble top hint hint "

I know what you are referring to on that job you left. I did a similar thing -except I just retired after 50 years in Civil Engineering
Paul
hi Paul, that would be awesome if you could.
I will send you a PM

Steve

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
"66 impala wagon tail light lenses are also hard to find and not sure if reproduced"
There is a LH lense listed on ebay.
Congrats on the new job! I understand your past pain.
Jeff

1966 CHEVY IMPALA BEL AIR STATION WAGON LH TAIL LIGHT #GUIDE 15S SAE STDB 66

Opens in a new window or tab
Wow!!!!!! Man they are expensive Jeff....

I might have to look at a coat of plastic resin on mine to brighten them up and fill in the hair line cracks.

Thanks for the link

Steve