Local Race legend !!

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
at the Portland Swap Meet I stoped at this stall selling pictures of local racing pictures.
This guy had pictures of all kinds of racing from drags to indy type cars.
this picture jumped right at me and when i look at it I saw that it was Carl Joiner !!

Carl was a local racer that did some damb good racing .
I became friend with Carl and his son, Dan later in the 70`s and got to listen to a lot of his stories.
He was a very interesting guy with lotsa of good stories and knowledge.

Dan went on to crew for several Nascar crews.

One thing I did`nt know was that Carl raced this car untill I saw this picture !!!
This I believe is at Portland Speedway,,,

Just had to add it to my collection, Enjoy,,dq

Attachments

• CarlJoinersmall.jpg
    CarlJoinersmall.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 151

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I remember seeing Joiner run from time to time, and Mcgriff quite a bit at some of the tracks around here. Winston West, or PCLM or whatever the various series were called. There were a lot of small ovals like Stockton, San Jose, Madera, Roseville, Altamont and the road courses at Laguna Seca and Sears Point.

Our local favorites were Jack McCoy and Ray Elder; McCoy wrote a great book on West Coast NASCAR racing a few years back.

There were also a lot of good drivers from Southern California during that period. Made for great rivalries and great racing.

Bob Core

Well Known Member
That's a great picture, didn't see the '62 Impala hardtop as a circle track racer very often.

Somewhere on the internet there are pictures of Joiner's '61 Biscayne stock car. Didn't see a whole lot of those 2dr sedan "flat tops" built up as circle track racers either.