LONG time since my last post, but wanted to share my 'new' 63 Impala..barn find

Tuxedo63

Hi all,
It's been a while since i've posted, we'll call it life getting in the way :D
Anyway, i'd like to share a short story with you all.
For a little over 15 years i've been searching for a Palomar red/black int 63 NON SS Impala..
My dad ordered one new in 63 with those colors, powered by a 327-300 4 speed.
I've wanted his old car for as long as i can remember and when i realized that finding his was not going to happen, i decided to search for another.
I could have cloned it very simply, but there was something about having those numbers on the trim tag that meant a lot to me.
It had to be born with that combination.

As fate would have it, it finally happened. The beginning of Jan i stumbled on a photo of an unrestored, Palomar red 63 on another web site. It wasn't listed for sale, but after a number of private messages a number was given and a date was set for me to go see it. It was about 3 hours away from where i live, up in the woods off a dirt road..no joke.
The last time it was on the road was in 72. A tear down was started for a resto about 20 years ago, but the fella who owned it, and was doing it unfortunately passed on before he had a chance to really get anywhere with it. it was left to his son, who sold it to his cousin. I bought it from him. I actually put the front tin back on before i loaded it up, the first time it had been on since 1990.

Fast forward so i don't bore you.
I go look at the car with a trailer hooked to my truck.
I walked in, and in less that 5 minutes bought a car i had been searching for for what seems like a lifetime.

Here's the nitty gritty details......

It's a numbers match 340 hp 409/glide with 3:36 posi.
It's also got some cool options..
Tilt column, rear antenna, ps, pb, padded dash, rear speaker, and tinted windshield.
The car is 100 percent original right down to the carb and alt! Even has the original paint and interior. I've checked everything on it, it's a virgin.

It needs a complete restoration, and it's one i'm really looking forward to doing.
I'm in the process of finishing up a frame off on a 62 Impala i have, and when it's done which should be this spring, i'm starting this one.
And when it's done, i'm giving my dad the key's to it..i can't wait!

I wanted to share this because, well, honestly this car means a lot to me because of my dad, guess you could say it's a dream car of mine in a way..and i also wanted to show these thing's are still out there!
This car is one i will be leaving to the next of kin :)

Hope i didn't bore you all too much.
thanks for reading,

Tony

Attachments

• 63-409g.jpg
    63-409g.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 167
  • 63-409f.jpg
    63-409f.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 153
  • 63-409d.jpg
    63-409d.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 189
  • 63-409e.jpg
    63-409e.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 157
  • 63-409k.jpg
    63-409k.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 205

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Great story!!! Thanks for sharing and have fun with the restoration.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Congratulations on buying the car and the story that goes with it!!! It will be a pleasure for you doing this!!!:clap:clap:clap

Tuxedo63

Thanks fella's, i really appreciate that.
I've had a number of X frame chevy's, including a near perfect unrestored black 63 (hence my screen name :)) but this one is my holy grail. I've had it for a little over two weeks and am already just about ready to fire the motor up. It look's to have been rebuilt at one point after i tore into it to look around, and there is very few miles on the rebuild.
It should be running this coming weekend.

Tony

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Great Find Tony and as the others said great story......... you'll definately put a smile on Dad's face !!!!!!

Dave

bobs409

Administrator
Wow, that's like hitting the lottery! :cheers

I'm wondering what the '63 was thinking when it saw the prices on that gas sign? It's fuel inlet probably puckered up. :D

Good luck with the resto and I hope you post pics along the way. :deal

ARKAR

Congrats on a great find. I love seeing pictures like these. This stuff gets in your
blood and it's very hard resist the appeal of these old Chevys.

ARKAR

droptop62ss

Well Known Member
Hey Tony ,
Nice ride I'm sure dad can't wait to take it for a ride !
you and Billy sure know how to find these things !!

Andy

Tuxedo63

Hey Tony ,
Nice ride I'm sure dad can't wait to take it for a ride !
you and Billy sure know how to find these things !!

Andy

For the first time in a long time he's got a real interest in a car. it's a great feeling to see him smile especially with losing my mom last year.
As far as Billy and i, for some strange reason, you're right..I bought this on a sat, and the next day we went and picked up a 64 2 door hard top basket case! haha
It's crazy Andy, as heavy as i am into hotrods etc, i can't get away from early 60's Impala's. I think they are my true weakness

Thanks everyone, i appreciate the feedback :D
When i start this one i'll post pics of it's rebirth.

Tony

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Good taste!

Tony:

You don't have a weakness, you just have good taste :).

Thanks for sharing the story and the pics, good luck with the restoration!

TomK

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Tony, Great find !!:clap I hope the resto goes well. :prayAbove all when she's done we all want you & Dad to enjoy the ride.:clap

:crazy:cheers

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
looks to be a great car. And a great story to go along with it. Can't wait to see it finished. :clap

Tuxedo63

I'm looking forward to seeing this car go back together.:beerbang

I'm REALLY looking forward to getting at it!! haha
Like i wrote up in my first post, i'll hopefully have my 62 all buttoned up by spring and then i'll start the documentation and teardown of the 63. The 62 is a frame off nut and bolt deal, but i wasn't so worried about it being "correct" like i am with this one. Even though the 63 won't be sold, i'd still like it to be close to original in it's rebuild.
Just for fun i've attached a pic of the 62 i am finishing up. It's from right after i painted it and started putting it back together.

Actually, i should correct myself. The car is about 99.5% complete. The past owner could not find the exhaust manifolds for it which sucks.
So i do need to locate a pair of them for it in case anyone has some at a decent price :)

Again, i appreciate the kind words and encouragement.

Tony

Attachments

• 62paint8.jpg
    62paint8.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 77

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
63 Impala

Congrat's on the find just make sure Pop's understands theres something under the hood other than a 327!:clap:clap

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Impala for Dad

Nice hunting Tony!! Hard to believe that they are still out there. Your perseverance definitely paid off. I'm sure Dad will be a very Happy Camper when he receives the keys. Good Luck with the resto.

Lonnie