LONG time since my last post, but wanted to share my 'new' 63 Impala..barn find

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:cool::cool:Great story and find. good luck. Wish my dad was still here so he could hate another of my 58's.:roll:roll

:crazy

bg64ss409

The 62 is a frame off nut and bolt deal, but i wasn't so worried about it being "correct" like i am with this one. Even though the 63 won't be sold, i'd still like it to be close to original in it's rebuild.

Its probably kinda a rare car you have there...I know my 64 SS409/340/PG is, according to GM historical services here in Canada, "one of less than 37" made with this combination,no idea on how many 63's (or how few) non SS's were made..seems everyone was after the 4 spd...fine by me:)
Its too bad that GM/Chev in the States has little or no documentation in this regard. I hope you can dig up a build sheet.., that would be a major bonus.

Nonetheless, imho, it is worth doing back as original as you dare...I nailed it with the exception of some marks on springs, driveshaft etc.,but my car is a driver, not a trailer queen.I did put discs on the front, and air shocks on it as upgrades.
My son can redo it in another 30 years or so, after I have wore it out again..;) I am third owner, my Uncle was second owner and he wore it out real good the first time!He wore it out, but like yours, it was very complete..only a few screws were wrong..

Impaladeconstruction064.jpg

DSC02935.jpg

Once in a while I throw the Fooses on!:)

DSC02965.jpg

They are a lot of fun to drive...something to be said for kickin it down about 45, and lighting 'em up..!:D

Have fun, keep postin pics!

Brett

Tuxedo63

Brett great looking 64!

It's ironic you mentioned the Canadian GM and thier paperwork. A few friends and i were just talking about that vs here in the states.
I've been doing research on my car for production numbers but realize the paper trail on actual detailed numbers is not there.
I've been told by a few guys the car is quite rare. Considering under 2% of all 63 full size cars had the 409 it's rare anyway, but i know this combination is by far not common.
The glide was not something i wanted, i'm a 4 speed guy through and through and even have a complete set up right down to an original shifter for a 63 stored away for when i got the next one...but, i just don't think i can do that to this one.
I'd LOVE to know a rough production number on nonSS 409 glide cars but i doubt i'll ever know.
I modify every damn thing i own, and heavily at that not just bolt on stuff so i don't need to change anything on this one aside from a wheel change from time to time like yours.
Thats probably the best thing for this car.

Thanks again for the info and pics of your 64..it really is a GREAT looking car!!!

And thanks to everyone else again :)

Tony

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Congratulations on the find Tony!! :clap:clap Keep us up to date on the restoration. Lots of pictures help!!:cool::cool:

Tuxedo63

Well, i'll keep the progress updates coming as soon as i actually dig into it.
For now, i'll throw a couple pics of the motor.
It's just about ready to start up after it's 20 plus year hibernation.
New gaskets, oil pump etc etc.
I know the valve covers are not supposed to be painted and i used a generic fuel pump...BUT, the chrome was pretty much gone on the covers which was why they were painted before, and the pump...
Well, this motor isn't going to be sitting on a stand until i get the 63 done. I'm actually dropping it between the rails of the 62 for now.
That car too is running a 409, but i have not built it yet and i don't want the 63's motor to just sit..
Being the 62 does not have a return line i just bought a normal pump.
The 62 didn't come with a '09 in it, and will be a driver so i'm not overly concerned with the small details like that.

Anyway, i have a start stand that i'll be firing this thing up on hopefully by the end of the week.
409k.jpg

409i.jpg

Thanks for looking.
Tony

Tuxedo63

Well, after about a 20 year sleep, the 409 fired to life last night.
I rebuilt the carb (along with doing a bunch of other stuff to it before attempting to start it), but have a couple small issues with it, and have some adjustments to make before i can pull it off the start stand and put it between the rails, but it runs and sounds STRONG!!

I'm going to try and get a video of it and post it within the next couple days...i hope.
I'm not exactly very computer literate.
Just thought i'd share :)
Tony

18htan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey Tony,

Thats great news!

Its always an awesome feeling when you get to cross something like that off your todo list.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Congrats, Tony... Hang in there and keep putting one foot in front of the other. The job will get done. Looking forward to seeing your video. :cheers

Tuxedo63

Thanks fella's..
Here are a couple vids from tonight. Hopefully they work, i've never tried to post a video before.lol
Let me know if they work if you don't mind so i know if i did it right or not, thanks.

Got some fine tuning to do but it RUNS!!
I've got the front pipes for the car on the manifolds, and my start stand exhaust after that. Not exactly a high quality set up but i needed to hear it to make sure there was no noises. I ran it with just the front pips on it too and was really surprised at how well it sounded. Normally i hate the way manifolds and short pipes sound..they always sounds sloppy to me for lack of a better term. this did not.
It was a great feeling to hear this thing burp for the first time in so long, and even better when it finally caught!

Sorry for the poor quality, i used my cell phone to take the vid's.

Tony

ARKAR

Very nice work! Thanks for taking the time to take and post the videos. Please keep the updates comming.

Keith

Tuxedo63

Thanks guy's. I'm glad the vids worked, i had NO idea what i was doing! haha

For the time being i'll be putting this in my 62 until i either get it's 409 built, or get the 63 restored ( probably do the 63 first, then the motor for the 62). I just can't see it sitting on a stand any longer, it's been there long enough.

Thank you all again!

Tony