Looking at another 348, have ?s

CarlK60

Supporting Member 1
Hey guys, Im looking at buying another 348. The block is a 962...(61 car, truck and replacement). From what I have heard the earlier truck blocks have the 2 valve reliefs in the cylinders, could this block possibly have 2? It has no deck stamp so I assume it is a replacement, and I forgot to check the date.

It has 702 heads which I just found out are 60 truck heads, anyone have any experience with these?

It also has an 083 intake (61 305 hp) Are these much better than the stock 250hp versions?

Thanks guys for any info, I would appreciate it.

Carl K

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Does this have the X on the front of the block? If it does there is a good chance that you could bore this one out to std 409 bore. I had a 655 truck 348 that was thick enough to go to std 409. You'd want to check the thickness of the walls first but the odds would be in your favor with an X 348 block! Showcars website lists this as a 62-65 replacement for cars and trucks. Best of luck!!!
Ross

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
FWIW, my '61 truck block - don't remember the casting # off-hand, but I know it's a truck engine with date codes from '61 - has the X, 2-notches, and 333 heads.

To be honest, I don't think the whole "X cast into the front" deal holds as much water as it's touted to. Far too much mis-information regarding which engines did/didn't have the X, how much overbore they can handle, etc, etc. I personally don't put much stock into that bit of casting information.

EDIT: My block is a 3857655 according to a previous post of mine.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thats why I mentioned it would be best to have the block checked first. My 655 was a 65 block.
Ross

CarlK60

Supporting Member 1
Hey Guys, thanks for replyin. It does have the X. I also have 2-655 blocks, both are later blocks, I know one for sure has only one notch and the other runs and has never been apart so I dont know what that has. The 962 block I am looking at is complete and turns over. I dont plan on popping the heads off anytime soon either if i get it. I was just wondering if the 962 block is known for having 2 notches or not. :scratch So early 655s have 2 notches?

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
Mine certainly does, and according to the date code the 655's were around prior to '62 like the various casting lists say. I've torn it down, but haven't gotten around to getting the cylinders mic'd or otherwise checked yet, however.