Looking for alittle better handling

Randy Maurstad

Well Known Member
My 62 impala 409 is totally stock. suspension, tires, shocks etc. so.. real soft ride,virtually no handling, lots of sway. wanted to keep a stock look, fairlysoft ride, but stiffen it up a bit, especially cornering sway. looking for recommendations, from guys that arehappy with what they have done...Im assuming a shock, have also heard stabilizer bar in front bushing type?

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
My 62 has front and rear sway bars. I believe the rear was an add on. My car doesn't handle too bad in the corners. I also have radial tires. I think poly bushings all around would help alot. I hope to get them in my car this year.Hope it helps you out!

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
A heavier front sway bar helps quite a bit. PST, and Hochkiss make them as well as other companies. Polyurethane bushings work well on the sway bar, but as for poly bushings in the front control arms, I can't say I noticed much difference. I also used a PST rear sway bar. It worked well but it didn't fit very well so I'd try another brand next time.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
A heavier front sway bar helps quite a bit. PST, and Hochkiss make them as well as other companies. Polyurethane bushings work well on the sway bar, but as for poly bushings in the front control arms, I can't say I noticed much difference. I also used a PST rear sway bar. It worked well but it didn't fit very well so I'd try another brand next time.

I have all that Jim metioned except the rear sway bar and it did help a lot. I was looking at CPP's rear sway bar but was not to sure how it would look. I have looked at others as well but they all seem a little hoawky with the way they are installed. :dunno Anyone else have any segjestions?

Rusty Everitt

Supporting Member 1
Dan,
I feel the same way in that all those aftermarket pieces look and mount up rather hoawky. My 62 has stock suspension and I feel like I need training wheels in a hard turn. Does'nt anybody make a stock replacement that's worth a sh*t ???

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
How stock are we talking about? Bias ply tires? If so I would go in stages. First radial tires with a little less sidewall (60 series) will do wonders all by them selves. It'll be like driving an entirely differnt car, not enough go to gas shocks, KYB inexpensive and good handling. Still not enough add front sway bar. Still not enough, you would probably have to start changing coil springs with stiffer rates. I really think that the radial tires and gas shocks will give you more of what you're looking for. Keep in mind this car is large and heavy and is not a sports model!

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Poly bushing, sway bars and a good set of adjustable shocks !!

I have the QA-1`s and when I set them to the stiffer setting my 62 will corner flat and steady!!
Not harsh but tight !!!,,,dq

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Are there different front sway bars? Mine was origanaly a 6 banger. Also where can I get the ploy bushings at?

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
This looks like the best set of sway bars I have seen to date. I think I am going to give this a try.:brow

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
605 box?

Some of the stabilizers interfer with a 605 steering box conversion. If you have one or are planning to use one, check it out before you buy.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Some of the stabilizers interfer with a 605 steering box conversion. If you have one or are planning to use one, check it out before you buy.

Very true, plus sometimes the 605 will have a clearance problem with the radiator petcock.

blumun53

Well Known Member
Ditto on the A-frame bushings not changing the feel. On my 58 Impala, I saw not one bit of difference with them. However, the greatest difference came when I put poly's on the front sway bar and links. It still felt a little woozy in the rear, though. So I installed some air shocks,and aired them up only to the point where the car sat level, and looked good. I didn't go so far as to add a rear sway. I liked the way it felt with what I had done, so that's where I quit. Good luck.:cool:

poison ivy

Well Known Member
better riding 58

poly bushings in the front along with station wagon springs, air bags in the rear wwith more air in right than left. 58 chev bel aire with 421 inch 09, muncie 4 speed and 4:11 axle on white wall radials, stone sleeper that weighs 3860 lbs. poison ivy:doh

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
poly bushings in the front along with station wagon springs, air bags in the rear wwith more air in right than left. 58 chev bel aire with 421 inch 09, muncie 4 speed and 4:11 axle on white wall radials, stone sleeper that weighs 3860 lbs. poison ivy:doh

Yeah, I'll bet you could surprise a few people with a car like that.:brow

Michigan's not all that far from Northern Ohio, you should think about coming to Norwalk.

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
rear sway bar

A friend has a bone stock 64 Impala with a factory front sway bar....... everybody laughed at him going through the mountains, it sort of looked like a duck leaning over on the corners........... he found a fairly heavy aftermarket rear sway bar at a swap meet and installed it easily........ car sits flat now in the corners...... didn't change the ride at all.

Dave

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3

Station wagon springs????? Front up ???
Air bags in the rear more air in the right?

These are drag specs except for the wagon springs,, should be 6 cylinder springs.
I think you are off base for a handling car set-up,,dq

Randy Maurstad

Well Known Member
KYB Shocks

Decided to change the bushings and go with a KYB gas shock...anyone put a set on ...They have a available GR-2 shocks and a Gas-a-just? any recommendatons from experiance?

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Kyb

I have had very good luck with the Gas-a-just on several cars. I think they are reasonably priced and work well with other suspension mods such as upgraded bushings and larger sway bars.