Looking for electrical help Gen/Alt

63BelAir

This is the car at this link http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeecr2m/id19.html
It belongs to a Family member and he took the front half of the car apart
leading to my question(S)

I re-assembled most of the car and finally got it to run again :)
but the Generator was taken apart and got soaked with water making it now useless..

What I want to is is put a newer alternator on the engine ..(Internal regulator)
The voltage regulator also had all the wires removed ..I think:( there arranged right but with the newer Alternator which wires have to remain?

The three wires of the Gen.. How do I route them ? Blue,Brown and black I believe they are

Has anyone done this before that is willing to lend a hand.

I should have stated this a little more simple I want to convert the Generator system to an internal Regulated Alternator system ..
And stil want everthing that is possible to still work,,Ignition hot,Gen Light etc...

Thank you for any help with this 62 I can use all I can get....

Rick

PS
I had to run a seperate hot to the coilo to get it to fire..I think it is due to wiring at the voltage regulator ...Does that sound right?

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
To wire in an internally regulated alternator, you only need to run a 10 gage wire from the alternator output to the positive terminal on the battery or to the positive post on the starter. That is the same one with the cable from the battery.

Assuming you are still running a points ignition you will need to consult a wiring diagram and feed it around the former regulator, making sure you keep the condensor in the system.

The generator light will not work with an alternator.

63BelAir

what about the two wires from the alternator ,,in the back side..or the wires from the old generator....
The generator light stays on at all times ..Just pull the bulb?

thank you for the input
I appreciate it

Rick

63BelAir

I was told I can jump those two wires together on the rear side of the alternator without an over-charging problem
is there any truth to that ?

Thanks Again,
Rick

63BelAir

rwagon57 said:
Assuming you are still running a points ignition you will need to consult a wiring diagram and feed it around the former regulator, making sure you keep the condensor in the system.

The generator light will not work with an alternator.

should'nt there be a condenser under the distributor cap?

I will check that in the morning to be sure

Bam59

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
hi. go to madelectrical.com they can help i did the works, and it is the best thing for charging and starting. hope this helps.

63BelAir

Mad electric did had some information on converting an Ext. Alt to and Int. Alt.
for 63 on up but thanks for the reply.

The project im working on is not my 63 but my cousins 62 ..
So Close...what i got from it was a GEN. generates an ALT. alternates and the wiring if different. but both systems hold the same secret, All wires are filled with smoke and the secret is to not let any of it out:D

I did get my hands on a full elctrical diagram of a 62 and also looked at a 1986 diagram .. after close study I put them to use and got it ...
The Generator light Operates,The systems charges @ 14.5 Volts and not a single light dims.
I was so excited :brow to get everything to work with a newer GM 3 wire set up

Now off to other problems the car has...
Thanks again guys for your replies

Rick