looking for info oncorrect posi case cast # for 1961 impala ss?

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If I may, I'd like to ask what's so special about having a "P" case ?

I have one in my car, but I really would like to know what make's them so special.

A few years ago I had a 4:11 posi for sale that had came from a 55 chevy. It was not a "P" case.
One guy that came to look at it said (after looking over it forever), "It's not really worth much, cause it's
not a "P" case. I said, " All right, see ya". The next guy that came was tickled pink, and didn't even try to
haggle on the $400 asking price. This was for a complete pig, non-posi, about 14 years ago.

So, I'd just like to know what makes the "P" so special.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
The "P" case has more clearance in the webbing areas for the posi clutch housing. A non posi case can be modified by cutting and grinding away some of the webbing in the spider gear area to make room for the posi clutch housing. The guys that show and detail cars insist on the correct case. Leo

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
If I may, I'd like to ask what's so special about having a "P" case ?

I have one in my car, but I really would like to know what make's them so special.

A few years ago I had a 4:11 posi for sale that had came from a 55 chevy. It was not a "P" case.
One guy that came to look at it said (after looking over it forever), "It's not really worth much, cause it's
not a "P" case. I said, " All right, see ya". The next guy that came was tickled pink, and didn't even try to
haggle on the $400 asking price. This was for a complete pig, non-posi, about 14 years ago.

So, I'd just like to know what makes the "P" so special.

There was no "P" case in '55

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The "P" case has more clearance in the webbing areas for the posi clutch housing. A non posi case can be modified by cutting and grinding away some of the webbing in the spider gear area to make room for the posi clutch housing. The guys that show and detail cars insist on the correct case. Leo
Also aren't the P case castings a better/stronger alloy?:dunno

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ok, now I know. Thank you, for explaining about the clearance issue.

I figure'd there wasn't a "P" case in 55, but the non "P" 4:11 posi I had did in fact come out of a 55 chevy.

A stronger alloy would of course, be a big plus with me.

Are those hardened caps for these worth the cost ?

If I remember correctly, didn't Aubrey beef-up the rear end in his 62 ? Hardened caps, special axles, welded supports on the banjo, etc? I 'm going to have to do a search when I get time.