Looking for Input - Engine Color Combo

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm looking for input on engine color combos. The only color I can't cheaply change is the throttle body. It is anodized red.
I had been thinking of making the block and the sheet metal (oil pan, timing cover, and valve covers) Chevrolet orange, leaving the heads aluminum, making the fuel rails and intake black and painting the bowtie on the valve covers black.

One change I have to make from a prior plan is the coil packs and their mounting. The head studs don't stick up enough to mount anything, so I'm going to be mounting the black coil pack on the valve covers as close to the fuel rails as I can reasonably get. This way, they will not get in the way of the bow tie on the cover or go over the scallop in the valve cover.

But before I pull the trigger on this, I'm open to some group thought input.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20150908_175945.jpg
    20150908_175945.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
You could paint the throttle body.

Personally, I'd paint the block, tins, fuel rails, and throttle body black, and leave the intake and heads raw aluminum. I'd also replace the tin valve covers with something aluminum.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
BLACK OUT everything, black push connect hoses, black heads, crinkle black powder coated valve covers and use button head allen screws where you can. Polish a couple items, natural finish on the intake

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I painted my block Chevy orange. The cast iron heads I left their color and shot them with a VHT clear. The valve covers were painted the gray color for '62. The cast iron intake I shot with a VHT aluminum paint. I like the look of the motor. The colors blend nicely, Carmine.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
What color is the car/ engine compartment......? Body look stock ?,lowered with big wheels?try to keep a theme.........I think black hoses with the red AN fittings will compliment the throttle body.....leave the heads and intake aluminum,headers finish close to the fuel rail finish(as they are now)paint the block to look aluminum.Chrome valve and timing covers.

Last edited:

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What color is the car/ engine compartment......? Body look stock ?,lowered with big wheels?try to keep a theme.........I think black hoses with the red AN fittings will compliment the throttle body.....leave the heads and intake aluminum,headers finish close to the fuel rail finish(as they are now)paint the block to look aluminum.Chrome valve and timing covers.

Good questions. I guess if I had a theme, it would be old school style with new school tech. Hence the fuel injection, coil packs, and Pro-Charger on the punched out 348, now 431.

From the outside appearance, the body will be original, some form of white with all the chrome, including the red stripe in the side trim.

Big wheels (front 245/45R18, rear 275/40/R19) and 2" drop spindles. I'm using Mike's big ass brake kit with the spindles. If I can't get these wheels to work with the back spacing in the front (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tww-65804), I'll do some form of a classic shiny five spoke, which fills the space pretty well. Most of the wheels I like from modern vettes have too much back space to sit flush with the body panel.

The front suspension is tubular control arms with coil over shocks. Steering will be rack and pinion. The rear is a Jag Independent suspension and close to original ride height. Mostly looking for a decent front/rear rake without looking like a stink bug.

When I got the car, the firewall was half red and half white (never determined how this happened). I'm thinking of making the engine compartment black, including the firewall.

I'm going with Jardine's tri-y headers. I know they aren't ideal for the 4/7 cam swap but with the forced induction and the main operating range I'll be using the car in (street, fun, some strip), I won't be very high in the RPM range. Should be able to stay under 3500 90% of the time. Transmission will be 4L60/65. For most of my driving the 4L80 will be too heavy/inefficient.

With some work, especially on the rear, I can get LED lights all around and I recall one of the venders having HALO/Led head lights.

The interior was originally grey'ish which I want to update it with a little different shade which is closer to a titanium/matte grey.

I'm not a big fan of the modern sinister look of black on black for the exterior a lot of the modern vehicles, but I can see having a lot of black in the engine compartment. Especially with selected red or other consistent colored accents.

Thanks for making me think this through and typing it out.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Off your original topic, but in reply to your post above:
I'm not sure if they are available in 19", but I recently bought some 17"x9" aluminum rally wheels off Ebay that also come in 18" and might fit your look.
REV 107 - Silver painted centers with a polished lip so you don't need to run a trim ring. Stock rally center caps fit. They are drilled for both car 5 on 4.75" lug pattern and chevy truck 5 on 5" pattern. Best of all was the price - $135.00 each shipped.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Good questions. I guess if I had a theme, it would be old school style with new school tech. Hence the fuel injection, coil packs, and Pro-Charger on the punched out 348, now 431.

From the outside appearance, the body will be original, some form of white with all the chrome, including the red stripe in the side trim.

Big wheels (front 245/45R18, rear 275/40/R19) and 2" drop spindles. I'm using Mike's big ass brake kit with the spindles. If I can't get these wheels to work with the back spacing in the front (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tww-65804), I'll do some form of a classic shiny five spoke, which fills the space pretty well. Most of the wheels I like from modern vettes have too much back space to sit flush with the body panel.

The front suspension is tubular control arms with coil over shocks. Steering will be rack and pinion. The rear is a Jag Independent suspension and close to original ride height. Mostly looking for a decent front/rear rake without looking like a stink bug.

When I got the car, the firewall was half red and half white (never determined how this happened). I'm thinking of making the engine compartment black, including the firewall.

I'm going with Jardine's tri-y headers. I know they aren't ideal for the 4/7 cam swap but with the forced induction and the main operating range I'll be using the car in (street, fun, some strip), I won't be very high in the RPM range. Should be able to stay under 3500 90% of the time. Transmission will be 4L60/65. For most of my driving the 4L80 will be too heavy/inefficient.

With some work, especially on the rear, I can get LED lights all around and I recall one of the venders having HALO/Led head lights.

The interior was originally grey'ish which I want to update it with a little different shade which is closer to a titanium/matte grey.

I'm not a big fan of the modern sinister look of black on black for the exterior a lot of the modern vehicles, but I can see having a lot of black in the engine compartment. Especially with selected red or other consistent colored accents.

Thanks for making me think this through and typing it out.

It sounds to me like you've got an excellent grasp of the look your trying to achieve........just think thru the details....."have a plan" and I'm sure it'll look awesome.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
BLACK OUT everything, black push connect hoses, black heads, crinkle black powder coated valve covers and use button head allen screws where you can. Polish a couple items, natural finish on the intake
I'm with Jason...:deal

Licensed to kill

Well Known Member
IMG_0567.jpg Another vote for black/aluminum. My 348 painted satin black (endura) and the intake and water pump painted with rust bullet to look like aluminum and prevent any chance of them rusting. Aluminum valve covers of course, painted same as block with ribs left bare. I like the effect. The engine is going in my all black '57 chevy short step, 4 spd Big back window.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks for everyone's input. I hadn't thought about using the AN fittings I'll need as trim or coordinating to match anything.

Regarding the cast color, I haven't had any luck finding it locally. Does anyone have a link or other info I can out?

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cans of cast you should be able to find at NAPA, etc. I think Dupli Colour and Plastic Kote are both good if you are looking for rattle can stuff.

Don