Looking for Switch

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I've been looking for a switch that I can use to manually lock up the torque converter in the 700R4 in my four door. Looking for a switch that I could mount on the turn signal lever. Just a simple on/off switch. All of the cruise control switches I've seen have too much to them and I don't think they would handle any amperage. I don't really want to make the wiring more complicated with a relay either. Anyone have a suggestion?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I used to use my cruise control set button as a launch control to power my low rpm[launch] rev limiter and both line locks without any relays.Before that I used it for nitros activation,no issues.Why not look up the T.C.C. wiring diagram for an 80-86 C-10.Simple to duplicate,reiliable,and you won't for get to turn it off?

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I used to use my cruise control set button as a launch control to power my low rpm[launch] rev limiter and both line locks without any relays.Before that I used it for nitros activation,no issues.Why not look up the T.C.C. wiring diagram for an 80-86 C-10.Simple to duplicate,reiliable,and you won't for get to turn it off?
I think I'm too lazy to mess around with the lock up anymore. I can't get the TCI switch adjusted properly, probably because of the lower than stock vacuum?( I think it was around 15" at idle). I already have a switch wired in and I'm used to switching the lock up on and off. But the switch is mounted under the dash, which I have to reach for. Would be nice to have a switch on the turn signal lever. :D I'll have to check around to see what kind of cruise switch might work.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Can you post a picture of the switch that you're adjusting.15 inches at idle is more than enough vacuum at idle but that switch,if it's the one I think it is should never see idle vacuum only ported vacuum.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Can you post a picture of the switch that you're adjusting.15 inches at idle is more than enough vacuum at idle but that switch,if it's the one I think it is should never see idle vacuum only ported vacuum.
I think this is the switch. I've tried adjusting it many times and could never get it just right. So I've been manually locking it and unlocking it. For as little as I drive it anymore, it works fine this way. Four speeds(manuals) for the rest of cars I'm building. :D

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tci-cmp3766b

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
This is interesting, a friend of mine races Buick GN just helped me build a 200 R 4 for my wife’s Firebird, he wired the TCC to the 4th gear pressure switch with the power coming through a new brake light switch that had normally closed contacts, he explained to me that 4th gear has to be on and the correct amount of pressure is reached to lock up.