low mount alternator

dave62

Well Known Member
Hi, has anyone tried to mount their alternator down low on the drivers side in an x frame car? I am aware of the few companies that make brackets for the low mount alternator for the 348-409 but they can't say whether or not they will work on an x frame car, I guess they are intended for street rod crowd. There are also companies that make low mount brackets for small and big blocks. Is anybody running this setup? If so how did you do it? I measured clearances and it looks like a full size alternator should fit but a mini should definitely fit. Thanks!

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
tried it

I tried one on my SBC 62 Belair a few years ago. As I remember it is obstructed by the steering box. I can't imagine it fitting on the W engine.

dave62

Well Known Member
hey 58" whose brackets are you using? What style of alternator? I hear the cs-130 alternators are a little smaller than the older style. Thanks, Dave62

1958 impala

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
lowbracket

Dave ,
Using a small alternator 3 wire with a homemade bracket if you are interisted I could trace you out a pattern of upper and lower brackets and send them to you,
I dont think there is room for the brackets that were in previous post.

dave62

Well Known Member
thanks 58'....i've pretty much layed everything out and have a template for the brackets, just gotta find some steel now. I appreciate the offer, and everyone else for their advice. Dave

dave62

Well Known Member
Can anyone tell me the distance between the two holes on the front of a Big Block just to the right of the timing chain cover? I believe this would be where the power steering pump would normally mount. I have decided to see if the powermaster low mount alternator 880 bracket set would work on my 09'. This bracket is intended for BBC but i'm not sure if the mount holes are 2" apart like the 409. Thanks

29Coupe348

Well Known Member
all of those are shown on the left side...will it also work on the right side???..my steering box is in the way on the left...thanks,mike

dave62

Well Known Member
I don't know Mike. If the 409 has the same mounting holes on the other side then it probably comes down to clearance issues with other components.

DIV1RACER-2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
low mount alt

The bb / 409 p/s mounting holes have different center lines . I used a small 45 amp alt from a yanmar tractor . One wire & will put out 14 volts all the time. As far as mounting brackets I used a long grade 8 bolt thru the lower alt hole into 1 of the p/s mounting holes & made an adjusting brace That goes up to the head.

Mounted this way you need to use a long later model crank pulley, don't know if your's is a street car ? I have an electric water pump drive. Plenty of steering box clearance with this setup !!!

Email me and i'll send a picture!