See that "Classic Industries" has full size Chevrolet Lowering Spring
Sets that will lower the car 1", 2", or 3". Anyone else use lowering
springs? What are the Pros and Cons? Does it effect the ride in
a negative way? These springs are custom wound for 1958-64 cars
so I would hope the ride does not suffer much. Thanks

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
You can cut a loop or two off of the stock springs and get similar results. The only thing is, as you remove loops from your springs the spring will get stiffer. I've never found that the ride suffered all that much and I think that a stiffer spring isn't a bad idea anyway when you are lowering a car because a soft spring will alow the car to bottom out on bumps. My guess, and it's just a guess, is that you will drop the car about 1" for every loop you take out. If it were me I wouldn't try any more than two loops on the front, that's the hard end to work on. Then I'd cut some off the back untill it sat the way I wanted it to. :D

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
If you cut off two coils, cut one coil from each end...not two from the same end. The ride will be a little bouncey but you'll get use to it quickly. The "plus" is that you car will handle a lot better, especially on curves.

Huggies

Well Known Member
I know that you guys aren't big fans of airbags, but I think it's the nicest way to go, With the right amount of air, the car handles better than in original set up, Planning on going with Shockwaves for my 62... With tubular control arms, it's the real deal... The kit is bolt on, so you can put your original equipement back on, there is also a cheaper kit if you want to keep all the original control arms and trailing arms... Sweet kit available for X frames...

58_64strongarms.jpg

arr20600_lucaprod.jpg

shockwave_prodshot.jpg

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I like the air bag setup. It's not cheap but it's nice. Apparently they also designed a little extra caster into the system as well.

Huggies

Well Known Member
I think your'e right since it was desingned after Trepanier's "Chicayne"...

They made many improvements over the stock parts... sucking the wheels in so you can ride the car at a lower height...