LS style engine in 1962 Belair?

denson1932

Well Known Member
OK whats the secret to get a Chevy or GMC 'LS' (4.8, 5.3, 6.0 L engine to fit down onto the stock 1962 V-8 frame (motor) mount brackets? I have a 2004 Silverado 5.3L engine. The aluminum 7 quart oil pan was too tall so i bought a 12640748 (LS crate engine ) oil pan....but it would not clear the frame crossmember on the back side. So i bought a 5 quart 19212593 'swap' oil pan and now it will clear the back of the crossmember but the front of the oil pan sits on top of the crossmember when i lower it into place (see pixs). Looks to me like it is necessary to modify the crossmember (by cutting it and lowering the top of it) to get the engine down into place...i have the typical 'LS motor mount adaptor plates' the ones i chose moves the engine 1" foreword from stock at the Bell housing/engine line. Note the pixs when i get the motor mount bolt inserted on the pass. side, the driver's side ain't going to make it....DSCF2814.JPGDSCF2815.JPGDSCF2817.JPGDSCF2818.JPGDSCF2820.JPG

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That’s a great read, especially if you want to see major rust repair on a 61 Impala. Great details on pictures.