Lug nut socket

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I was wondering what you guys are using for lug nut sockets? Most of my sockets are Mac & snap on. I’m so tired of fighting to get them off the lug nuts, lugs getting stuck. It’s mainly just for the chrome capped lugs they are the worst! Basically looking to see if any of the off brands like gear wrench or maybe titan or those multi colored sets are any good?

ty

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I was wondering what you guys are using for lug nut sockets? Most of my sockets are Mac & snap on. I’m so tired of fighting to get them off the lug nuts, lugs getting stuck. It’s mainly just for the chrome capped lugs they are the worst! Basically looking to see if any of the off brands like gear wrench or maybe titan or those multi colored sets are any good?

ty
If they are capped with chrome throw them in the trash and get solid chrome. All brands of sockets are equal in size or should be. Yes i remember those capped nuts, sometimes the covers even come off.

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
If they are capped with chrome throw them in the trash and get solid chrome. All brands of sockets are equal in size or should be. Yes i remember those capped nuts, sometimes the covers even come off.
There not on any of my cars, just for service work I’m looking. I agree the capped lugs are trash Chrysler has been using them for years, awful.

Sudsc61

Well Known Member
I bought this for my Hellcat. Cheap at Amazon. I bought a complete set similar to the set here from MAC. Almost every socket that get used broke and MAC guy went out of business. I can send them back to Mac tools with a few other tools that are broken but that’s a real pain in the ass. The reason I use Mac Matco and Snap On is because they come to me. My old boss bought some from Harbor Freight that worked ok.B693B959-82E2-4D4F-B542-E973881E264A.jpeg3EE3F587-49CD-4959-B189-0B7EA8ABC399.jpeg

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I have been using a set of three double end impact sockets from Harbor Freight, for several years now. They are holding up great. I see they only have a two socket set now.

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I bought this for my Hellcat. Cheap at Amazon. I bought a complete set similar to the set here from MAC. Almost every socket that get used broke and MAC guy went out of business. I can send them back to Mac tools with a few other tools that are broken but that’s a real pain in the ass. The reason I use Mac Matco and Snap On is because they come to me. My old boss bought some from Harbor Freight that worked ok.View attachment 96833View attachment 96834
So do you like the Titans? I have one or 2 of this brand.

Sudsc61

Well Known Member
Most of the capped lugs I’m taking off are metric 19,21,22 newer cars, service work.
3/4 13/16 and 7/8 are almost exactly the same. A lot of the newer cars the lug nuts start to blister and the socket won’t fit right. Now they sell a 19.5 21.5 and a 22.5 socket to fit better. Lifesaver on the 22mm chrome cap Chrysler lugs.

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
3/4 13/16 and 7/8 are almost exactly the same. A lot of the newer cars the lug nuts start to blister and the socket won’t fit right. Now they sell a 19.5 21.5 and a 22.5 socket to fit better. Lifesaver on the 22mm chrome cap Chrysler lugs.
Thank you I’ll be grabbing some of those!!:allright