lunati cam question

doc396

Well Known Member
i have a problem with the valve train geometry on a 65 327 engine i put together a few years back. the pushrods seem to be to short to put the rocker arms in the right position. i bought a plastic length checker that slides over the rocker stud and lets you measure for pushrod length. but it seems to be almost 1/4 inch off? just eyeballing the rocker you can see its very low on pushrod side. it seems like the lifter sets to low in the block? i got sidetracked and never went any further, now i am thinking of removeing the cam and going with a different cam. anyone ever run across this problem. the cam number is lunati 08101 other numbers on the box are sm 248-259 106 chevrolet 283-400 nbod 7751. i also have the lunati solid lifters it calls for in the book from jegs. the block deck and heads have never been machined. it was a virgin engine when i took it apart. doc

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I would not think it is the cam or lifters.
What rockers are you using?

Have you call Lunati tech line,,dq

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Call the Mfg.

Might be a reduced base circle cam for clearance on a stroker.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Whats the lenght of the push rods you have?
They should be 7.794" long with that cam.
Part # Part #: 81134

doc396

Well Known Member
well it's been a while (4 years) since i have been working on this. it has hardend push rods due to aftermarket guides at stock length now. i went with smaller diameter springs/retainers and roller tip rockers. i did not save the receipt so i can't remember the brand. i wanted to keep stock appearance with factory valve covers. i am going to try a post some pics. i have all the rocker nuts backed off because it was going to be setting and i wanted to keep springs relaxed. :takethat sorry these are the only pics small enough to load, i will have to take some more pics if needed. MODELS YOU MAY BE ON TO SOMETHING THERE ON THE REDUCED LOBE CIRCLE???? thanks, doc

Attachments

• 000_0092.jpg
    000_0092.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 000_0095.jpg
    000_0095.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 90

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My guess from looking at the picture is your push rods are too short,,, Just a guess,,dq

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
OK Holmes

Sherlock, he said his pushrods are short. The question is why. Wrong pushrods, reduced base cam, too thick head gaskets, wrong valve height.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Cant tell

Cant tell for sure from the picture but the rocker adjustment looks like the valves might be taller than stock.

doc396

Well Known Member
well i had a very reputable machine shop do the head work. as i remember they installed 2.02/1.60 valves lunati springs/retainers and set spring height to spec. i had match ported intake ports before sending to shop. the stock long slot rockers and large diameter springs i had on at first were rubbing each other. i knew something was wrong then. i thought i could massage it with smaller springs, leaner rocker arms and longer push rods. the more i think about it the more i am pointing at the cam. also the lifters seem to low in block when at 0 lift. when this first came up i went back to jegs and double checked the lunati parts to see if everything worked together, by the book it should not be a issue? doc

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Sherlock, he said his pushrods are short. The question is why. Wrong pushrods, reduced base cam, too thick head gaskets, wrong valve height.

Hey Holmes,, i posted the push rod length that Lunati states should be used with that cam.:scratch
Did Doc check the push rods he has to see if they are shorter then what Lunati states?:dunno

Doc,,, Forget Jegs,,, CALL Lunati and get some answers !!!:takethat
Have the push rod length that you have before calling them,,, Slock,,

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
well i had a very reputable machine shop do the head work. as i remember they installed 2.02/1.60 valves lunati springs/retainers and set spring height to spec. i had match ported intake ports before sending to shop. the stock long slot rockers and large diameter springs i had on at first were rubbing each other. i knew something was wrong then. i thought i could massage it with smaller springs, leaner rocker arms and longer push rods. the more i think about it the more i am pointing at the cam. also the lifters seem to low in block when at 0 lift. when this first came up i went back to jegs and double checked the lunati parts to see if everything worked together, by the book it should not be a issue? doc

Do you happen to know what valves were used? Are they stock length for the 348/409?

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Do you happen to know what valves were used? Are they stock length for the 348/409?

Oh, heh heh, I see :doh . Let me rephrase that question. Are the valves stock length for the 327? Or maybe I ought to just back out of this thread :dunno

doc396

Well Known Member
just got home (late). at this point i am not really sure of anything???? i think i am going to take it back apart and start over from square one. i just thought this might have been something that someone had run across who had used lunati valve trains. the only reason i went this route is because back in the early 70"s i bought a 66 chevy ll SS with a built L/79 and it had all lunati valve train. that thing was a power house and had a mean sound. it was to radical for daily driving so i ended up swapping out the race stuff for the stock L/79 stuff. i tried to duplicate that engine and thats when i ran into this brick wall. i am not sure i check the number on the cam to the box number it came in, so i am not really sure what i put in? live and learn. doc

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Doc, I`m still wondering why you haven`t called Lunati and told them about tis problem.
They might have a simple solution,,,dq

doc396

Well Known Member
i should call them directly myself i know. now i remember why i shelved the project:bang the guy i delt with at jegs made a call from the store back when i first had this come up. he was very helpful, and even called some race engine builders he knew. they all agreed there was a problem but couldn't help over the phone (without seeing problem). i measured one of the pushrods with a tape measure (the only way i have) it looks to be 7 7/8" or 7.875" by eyeballing. i need to take it apart and recheck everything again, just to ease my mind as to what i have. i have spent to much money to risk major damage to the engine, not to mention all the time/work it would take to remove and disassemble after the fact. i think after i remove the cam and take some lobe measurements and double check the numbers i will call lunati. only thing that PO's me is messing up that great paint job i did:cuss thanks for all the help, i will let you all know what i find:cheers doc

This thread reminds me of a "problem" that a former employee ( Rob ) of mine had. Had quite an effect:doh
Don't remember ever getting it fixed;)