Made a Deal on a 62 Bubbletop

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Its about 25 miles from my house, been sitting outside, but the fellow oiled it underneath, plus fenders and trunk. Frame looks good, even the gas tank. It has what looks like a 62 Impala front seat, rear door panels look original, back seat, anybody's guess, front door panels who knows (one has "Holiday" on it, may be an Olds?

It's Canadian, Powerglide, likely a 283 car, padded dash (was that optional), all the trim inside and out is intact. The pics I took so far are not great.
357921186.jpg

357921183.jpg

357921171.jpg

357921177.jpg

357921174.jpg
[/IMG]

I think it was a white car, under the red is white, but I will likely do it Roman Red with a red interior, 409, 4 speed, pretty much a stock setup with dogdish, likely a brake upgrade.

The serial number and trim tags are there, trim tag covered in oil, so I didn't get the numbers. It shows 16,000 miles, so it may be 116,000 and the original engine. It has an ironglide, which would be correct for a 283?

Don

LongIsland63SS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Don,

My favorite body style!

That will be a sweet ride when it is done.

Post some pictures when you get it home.

Mike

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hey Don, Great find!!:deal!:clap That car has so many possibilities.Best of luck on the redo. Lots of pics please.:cheers

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Congradulations on the find Don......... I'll be a great car when you get'er done.

Dave

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Another bubbletop saved. They are the best in my opinion. Wish I had one!:D

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Congrats, you have acquired the Holy Grail of Late Great Chevys. I've seen '62 Bel Air Sport Coupes (o.k., bubbletops!) so badly rusted that I can't believe people would even attempt to restore them. But they do anyway. I'll admit, they are my all time favorite car and when I'm at the dentist and he tells me to close my eyes and go to a happy place......I put myself behind the wheel of '62 Bel Air Sport Coupe, 409 CID - 409 HP, 4-speed with Eva Longoria in the passenger seat. I've even owned one for about 10 years but it was a race car and I wanted a street version. For the time being, I've kinda given up on owning one and feel fortunate to have picked up the decent black '62 Biscayne that I'm currently working on. It's gonna make a fun car with the LS-6 454/ M-22 Super Muncie drivetrain and heck...the fact that it has a little bit different of a roof line saved me a lot of money! Good luck on your Bel Air!

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Congrats!

Way to go! Another one to be saved from the open environment :). You know you have a lot of work ahead of you, but its will be fun taking her apart and seeing exactly what you will need to replace, etc. Now you have something to dream about when you go to sleep at night!

I agree with Mark, this is the Holy Grail as far as many are concerned. Especially if you outfit her with the Mighty 409 :) :) :).

Keep us posted as you make your way through the project, we love the pics!

Cheers!
TomK

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Don, Way to go....:deal. Like others have said the 62' bubble top Bel-Airs just make me drule....Wish I make a find like that....Guess I will have to settle for a 61'. Can't wait to see your progress.....:clap

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
My '61 was a similar find. I knew of the car for years and it sat since 1987 and then one day my friend called me and said " If you want it ,come get it":deal The rest is history.:D