Michigan B-24 Plant

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Thought Cecil would enjoy this.

Henry Ford was determined that he could mass produce bombers just as he had done with cars. He built the Willow Run assembly plant and proved it. It was the world's largest building under one roof. even then FORD HAD A BETTER IDEA!

This film will absolutely blow you away - one B-24 every 55 minutes. ADOLF HITLER HAD NO IDEA THE U.S. WAS CAPABLE OF THIS KIND OF THING. There is no way he could have even guessed.

For those who live outside of Michigan, Willow Run is near Bellville, Canton and Ypsilanti, MI

It's amazing that one B-24 (built with over 1.225 million parts) came off the assembly line every 55 minutes

Take a few minutes to watch this snapshot of history.

bomber_plant.wmv

Copy and paste.

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
That was something!

Have you airplane guys seen this one about Lindberg's flight?

(READ INSTRUCTIONS BELOW)

When you click on the address, episode #3 comes up ready to play.
I suggest you first click on "CONTACT" to the left and select #1, then watch them in order, #1 through #4.

I was glued to the screen through all 4.
What guts it took for Lindbergh to overcome the odds against him and accomplish this amazing feat.

http://www.airportappraisals.com/

Select "Contact" after EACH clip to choose the next.

Clyde

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
We did some amazing things back when we still manufactured our own machines. One aircraft every 55 minutes is pretty amazing, but it took a little longer to produce the 10 men to man each one of them.:clap:clap:cheers:cheers

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Thank You for posting Dave & Dan. :clapI watched that video 3 times already and I am very proud to say that the man who drove the truck with the 5 gallon "JERRY CANS " full of fuel and also helping lift them up to the wings was indeed my Dad !!!
My Dad would relate that story to me and my brothers & sisters way back in the day. We all grew up about 4 miles from Roosevelt Field. I got GOOSEBUMPS watching that video and possibly seeing my Dad in 1927 being a part of history on film. Again THANK YOU !!!

:crazy:cheers

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Crap

Thank You for posting Dave & Dan. :clapI watched that video 3 times already and I am very proud to say that the man who drove the truck with the 5 gallon "JERRY CANS " full of fuel and also helping lift them up to the wings was indeed my Dad !!!
My Dad would relate that story to me and my brothers & sisters way back in the day. We all grew up about 4 miles from Roosevelt Field. I got GOOSEBUMPS watching that video and possibly seeing my Dad in 1927 being a part of history on film. Again THANK YOU !!!

I didn't recognize him??????????????? :doh Seroiusly, that is really cool.:clap and i mean..................that is realllyyyyycoolllllllllllllllllllll:bow:bow:bow makes your heart sing...........

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

That just put a big smile on my face.....:cool::cool::cool:

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
I am still reeling from that video !! :clap My dad was 25 years old at that time and was only married 3 years to my mom. My dad had a picture of the truck at his job yard in Westbury Long Island N.Y. My oldest sister was born in 1924 and is still alive & kicking today. She is 86 years young. I have to look as I might have that picture in my Dad's things.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Cecil:
Did you notice all of the "short" touches in the dirt before the runway pavement??? Short Runway??
Nice story as my Uncle flew the 24's over Italy and they always brought it home.
robert

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Cecil:
Did you notice all of the "short" touches in the dirt before the runway pavement??? Short Runway??
Nice story as my Uncle flew the 24's over Italy and they always brought it home.
robert

Obviously, they didn't want to waste any of that pavement.. Goes with the old saying "There's nothing more useless than altitude above you and PAVEMENT behind you".:deal
:D