Mom's 1962 Chevy II Project

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Looks like most of the places which sell carpet for the 62 Chevy II go through Auto Custom Carpets. Which is good because they can ship quickly.
The question I have is, what is the difference in the types. On the page:
I'm not sure whether Original Loop will be good or if the upgrade to Cutpile or Essex is worth it. For what it's worth, the interior is red.
The only thing I know about interior carpet is to upgrade the backing.

What experience do you folks have with various carpet grades/choices?

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Looks like the front clip he will be using won't need the Nova pan.
The V8 blocks were different also, the oil filter pad was razed and the clutch pivot ball location was in a different place.
I've been trying to wrap my head around your info on the clutch pivot ball location. The SBC I'm using is a Ram Jet 350 and I'm not sure the implication.

I'm guessing/hoping all I would need is a new Z bar Clutch block side pivot ball such as this:

But if you could, can you review this page and let me know if there are other parts which make sense to buy:

Currently, the 62 has the inline 6 which had been a 3 on the tree but was converted to a four speed years ago. I'm having a T56 6 speed put in.

Are there other parts which make sense to use?
Thanks!

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
You won't know tell you get the block setting in there. Guessing with the front clip you have the firewall will be the only Chevy II part left.
I ran a home built relocator for the pivot ball on my car but it was stock front end.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Juice clutch.
I'm assuming you mean hydraulic clutch?

Even if you didn't, I had to take another look and I think the install kit is using a hydraulic clutch. If so, I'm asking the wrong questions. Here is the install kit:

Looks like I need a different set up parts and a better couple of questions. May need to order something like this:

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Hyd.activated clutch makes better sense .If your going to use that Ramjet 350,you're going to change it's engine management system[think Holley Terminator,.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hyd.activated clutch makes better sense .If your going to use that Ramjet 350,you're going to change it's engine management system[think Holley Terminator,.
I just checked the Summit page for the Ram Jet 350, I won't have to change the engine management system. The fricken kit doesn't seem to include one. I'll double check with local distributor when he gets back to work next week.
Thanks for prompting me to do a heads up!

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
McLeod's hydraulic clutch set up for the first gen Nova includes the throwout bearing (transmission specific), lines, firewall bracket and master cylinder. They are a little pricy but work well and easy to install and utilize the factory clutch pedal, I have one in my Nova. :good Also with the McLeod set up you can use a standard bell housing otherwise you will need a Nova bell housing where the throwout fork comes out at 7 o'clock for clearance.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
McLeod's hydraulic clutch set up for the first gen Nova includes the throwout bearing (transmission specific), lines, firewall bracket and master cylinder. They are a little pricy but work well and easy to install and utilize the factory clutch pedal, I have one in my Nova. :good Also with the McLeod set up you can use a standard bell housing otherwise you will need a Nova bell housing where the throwout fork comes out at 7 o'clock for clearance.
Thanks for the info!
Is this the one you're thinking of:

I'm hoping by using this kit from GM (part of the connect and cruise package) I can minimize compatibility problems:

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Nice choice Radar.It already uses a hyd.throwout brg.
Yes that is the one I have, it fit and works well. They make throwout bearings for different transmissions, I'm running a G-Force G101A (T10 style).
I thought the throwout bearing came with it but I could be wrong its been several years ago when I got it. It may have been a separate item and replaces the front bearing retainer on your trans.

Last edited:

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I just checked the Summit page for the Ram Jet 350, I won't have to change the engine management system. The fricken kit doesn't seem to include one. I'll double check with local distributor when he gets back to work next week.
Thanks for prompting me to do a heads up!
I talked with the local distributor this week and he says the Ram Jet 350 comes with a brain box and the default setup should be fine with the manual transmission.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The trdemark name for the ''brainbox'' used on that engine is MEFI,the M standing for Marine[boat].It;'s better than the original set up that they used but doesn't have the capacity for street driving,cruising,off idle,sudden acceleration that's expected with todays efi units.The programing can not be changed or adjusted ,it just doesn't have the ecm capacity.The rest of the engine is very good.II've been directly involved with 3 of them in different cars.The end result was to replace the MEFI and it's harness with an affermarket[Holley]self learning system and the results were markedly better mileage and driving manners and the ability to improve the ''tune''and or modify the engine[cam change,boost it,whatever].

Last edited:

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The trdemark name for the ''brainbox'' used on that engine is MEFI,the M standing for Marine[boat].It;'s better than the original set up that they used but doesn't have the capacity for street driving,cruising,off idle,sudden acceleration that's expected with todays efi units.The programing can not be changed or adjusted ,it just doesn't have the ecm capacity.The rest of the engine is very good.II've been directly involved with 3 of them in different cars.The end result was to replace the MEFI and it's harness with an affermarket[Holley]self learning system and the results were markedly better mileage and driving manners and the ability to improve the ''tune''and or modify the engine[cam change,boost it,whatever].
Thanks for the heads up Don!
I do want to juggle costs and capability for sure. What problems for a daily cruiser might my Mom experience if I stick with MEFI?
I'd hate to stick her with a problem just as much as have her spend money for capability she won't use.