Montana "I Spy"

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Be On The Look Out !!!

I got a good clue from a reliable source that there is a 62 409 4 spd Impala convertible sitting in a field out side of Missoula !!!

From what I was told it has a red fender on it and is sinking into the ground.

You members from Montana need to find this car !!

I could get more info if needed.

I was delivering oil to a customer that does custom hot rod work and he was from the Missoula area and told me about this car.

Find it and save it !!! ,,dq

Skinman

My Home Town!

I live in Portland, Oregon now but lived 32 of my years in Missoula. What an awesome town it is... and was when I was a motor head back then. My son lives there and it is a car town. He has a 750 HP twin turbo Cobra Mustang with only 3,000 miles on it. I hate him. I had a 426 Hemi-Road Runner in college there in the early 70's.
Missoula is a big area. Any ideas on how to locate this phantom red fender chevy? I would buy it in a heartbeat.
I have an incredible story about the fastest street car in Missoula when I was going to college there 68-72. Believe this or not....a matching serial number L-88 427 66 Chevelle! One off car. Quite a story on how this car was obtained from GM if you want to hear it. It was an 11.2 second car with street tires. Ate my Hemi alive. (and anyone else around at the time)

oil4kids

Well Known Member
Hey Skin,

Love to hear more about that 66 L88. Must have been a special car.
Have 67 dated L89 heads on my 67 chevelle. Early heads very porous. Had to dip them in hourglass to keep them from sweating.

Skinman

One Off L-88 Chevelle

My sister had a next door neighbor in Missoula that just returned from his Army Ranger duties for two tours. This ultimate guy had some money saved up and wanted a unique and special car. My sister worked for the Chevy Dealership there called T&W Chevrolet. She was very connected with the owner. She arranged for this guy (she would remember his name) to meet with the GM District Manager. Our Vet asked for this L-88 Chevelle and the guy said no way, won't happen. After working on the guy for another month or so, this GM rep who had been a WWII vet wanted to do something special for this decorated vet so he went to work on it. He came back with a deal. They would deliver a red factory SS 396 Chevelle to the dealership (less engine) and ship the L-88 in a separate crate. The dealer would install, but NO Warranty. This car was something like $6,000 then which was pretty expensive for the day. The car was ordered. The Vet sold the car to my best friends brother about 1969. My friend's dad was a Chevrolet Mechanic at the dealership so they had the thing in the garage tweaking it for some time tuning it for performance. One thing I remember was when ever he raced it he put these longer spark plugs in it. Dad installed what we called Capacitive Discharge in (today we call it electronic ignition). Some expensive headers and modified exhaust, and as I recall a highrise manifold with a monster carb. The car was a looker and perfect. It had very low miles I am thinking around 12,000 at the time.
The killer on this car was that somehow GM provided matching serial numbers on the engine with the body, so it was incredibly unique and would be worth a fortune today if it were still around I would think.
Well, Doug (my buddies brother) was a cool cat and drove it around like an old lady. Street racing was common place then (but still illegal). We had our places to go you know. He would not race the car for less than $200 bets, and plenty took shots at it. Shelby's, Hemi-Cuda's, lots of Rat motor cars, Corvettes and so on.
The car ran a best of 10.54 at the Deer Park Dragstrip which is not in existence any more in Spokane area. The sound, the look, the reputation of that car made it king of Missoula in those days. Guys came from Spokane to try to beat the car but no one did. Finally a couple of University Students that came from Albuquerque, NM challenged him for $300. They had a serious bad *** 55 Chevy with a full race 327 (with a Holley 3 barrel believe it or not) that was built by Don's Speed center in San Diego we found out later. He beat Doug on the first run and blew his motor on the second. Doug missed a shift on the first go. That was one nasty 327. He was shifting at 9,000 RPM so...wow, pretty impressive.
Yes those were the days of open headers, lots of beer, girls and fast cars everywhere. Doug got married and sold the car to some kids in 74 like all the rest of us did when gas went from $.29 to over a buck. He lost track of the car but believes it got parted out after them crashing it. My Hemi-Roadrunner met the same fate. The guy that bought it had it three days and hit a bridge rail going 80 and totalled it. That car was absolutely perfect too. Oh I miss those days. The L-88 was a hell of a motor, that is what I remember. These rice burners today are fast but there is NOTHING like that bone crunching American Muscle eh? My dream is a Lingenfelter Corvette. I am an old fart and can afford it but my wife is not on board....yet.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Are you positive it was an L-88 and not an L-72? They didn't go into production until the 67 model year.:scratch

Skinman

Absolutely it was an L-88. What amazes me is how different "experts" from magazines, clubs and so on have different memory on dates and history. I can tell you the L-88 was put in some racing corvettes by the GM racing team in 1965-66.
The L-72 was the standard Corvette 427 with 435 HP. I am completely aware of the difference, and trust me, this was a for real L-88. Some estimates on that engine had it rated at around 650 HP from the factory, but puplished ratings were much lower. There were "reasons" the car makers underrated motors back then. You probably know the reasons.

By the way, thanks for the acknowledgement of Veterans. I am not one, but have deep appreciation for those that have put it on the line so we can speak freely day in and day out today. I love those guys.

NASCAR FAN

Well Known Member
Corvette 427 Engines

"I am completely aware of the difference," "The L-72 was the standard Corvette 427 with 435 HP."

There was not a "standard Corvette 427" All the 427 engines were an option. The base optional Corvette 427 (RPO L36) was rated at 390 horsepower.

The L-72 was never rated, by Chevrolet, at 435 horsepower. It was rated at 425 horsepower. The L71 427 was rated at 435 horsepower.

The L88 427 was not available to the general public in 1966, either installed in a car or over the counter. 1967 was the first year for RPO L88. Chevrolet did build a few 1966 Corvettes with L88s which were sold to a select few Corvette racers. They were all prototypes, not regular production.

Source of my information?

Chevrolet printed specifications and Chevrolet printed consumer brochures and ordering info. I used to be Chevrolet salesman.

For those who do not have access to Chevrolet printed material the CORVETTE BLACK BOOK, which I also have, is a pretty good source of information.

Larry

Skinman

Chevrolet official

Those dates are correct as published. I am no expert on the L-72, only that my friends that had them said 435 HP was what they had. The L-88 was actually published at 430 HP or 400 HP truth be known, but you know that is not accurate if you are familiar with the L-88.
I will tell you this was an L-88 with matching serial numbers and that is why I took the time to share it with enthusiasts. It was extremely unusual and it happened as stated. I know they don't show the L-88 as being available till 67, but I remember reading some data at a Chevrolet dealer years ago that said the "experimental L-88" at the time was in development and being given to a very select group of GM racing team members as early as 1965. Not sure how to confirm that, but it was actually on a big wall display in this dealership.
Those guys that bought and owned it are still around. I hate to bother them but we may have to if you are a skeptic.

NASCAR FAN

Well Known Member
Skinman:

In my opinion you have the right to believe what ever you want and you don't need to prove anything to me. I'm just listing Chevy printed information and what I believe to be true. Early '66 Chevy specs list the Corvette L72 427 with a rating of 450 horsepower but the rating was changed to 425 horsepower when the cars were released. Don Yenko rated his '69 COPO Chevelle and Camaro with the L72 427 engine the original 450 horsepower rating. The L71 427/435, which came out with the '67 models, had 3 X 2bbl carbs. instead of the single 4bbl. There was also a RPO L68 Corvette 427 which was rated at 400 horsepower. The 427/400 was basically the base 427/390 with 3 X 2bbl carbs instead of a 4bbl.

Curly

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Quite a few early Corvettes were released with the 450 horse rating, although it was soon changed to 425 horse.

NASCAR FAN

Well Known Member
450 or 425 ?

Some Corvette experts claim the first cars released had the 450 rating some experts claim they didn't. Since I'm not an expert I take the consevative view. I know the 450 air cleaner sticker was available at the parts counter and some Corvette owners changed it.

Moe