Montana "I Spy"

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Some Corvette experts claim the first cars released had the 450 rating some experts claim they didn't. Since I'm not an expert I take the consevative view. I know the 450 air cleaner sticker was available at the parts counter and some Corvette owners changed it.

Moe

The 450 HP rating was used through serial number 2881 manufactured Oct 12th.

Bill

NASCAR FAN

Well Known Member
Had a friend that bought one brand new, came with the 450 decal.

58 delivery:

Corvette Black Book says: "...was initally listed and labeled at 450hp but, for uncertain reasons, the rating was reduced to 425hp shortly after introduction.

This statement would indicate you are correct.

Clarabelle

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Quip from magazine

I alwys read that the L-88 engine was made available as a component in the L-88package, but I'm sure guys got 'em OTC as well. Here's an excerpt from a typical magazine source describing early L-88 racing ventures:

"Even before they could see its distinctive quad headlamps piercing the darkness, the Sunray DX Motorsports team knew when their Corvette was exiting the final ninety-degree turn at the end of Sebring’s long back straight. Six hundred horsepower worth of big block Chevrolet generated a thunderous roar unlike anything else on the track.

This 16th annual running of the famed 12 Hours of Sebring, held April 1, 1967, marked the debut of Corvette’s L88 option package. The aluminum headed 427, in concert with an M22 “Rock Crusher” transmission, heavy duty brakes and suspension, and a host of other competition inspired hardware, turned the Corvette into the purest race car to ever roll off a Detroit assembly line.

When the checkered flag fell at 10:00 p.m. the epic struggle of man and machine was over. In the hands of drivers Dave Morgan and Don Yenko, Sunray’s L88 Corvette bested some of the world’s greatest purpose built and production based racers to finish 1st in GT class and 10th overall.

The L88 engine that powered the red, white and blue DX racer to victory became a regular Corvette option soon after Sebring. As such, it was—and arguably remains—the most powerful engine ever offered in a true production car. That alone would ensure its place in history, but closer examination reveals much more to the L88 mystique than mere savage horsepower."

Having an L-88 engine in a vehicle prior to April 1967 suggests a very special case, to be sure!

Enjoy!
TomK

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The 450 HP rating was used through serial number 2881 manufactured Oct 12th.

Bill

Just misssed it as mine was built the first week of November.

There is a documented case of an early 66 still owned by the original owner who ordered the "biggest engine available". When it was delivered it had the 450hp air cleaner decal but the invoice said 425. Apparently he got caught by the changeover. There was even a case where in the same ad GM made reference to the 425hp and the 450hp L-72 so even they were confused.
This has been extensively researched by the NCRS guys and was prompted by the appearance in the 66 assembly manual for the L-88 but the sheet shows it as "cancelled'. Some thought that the early 450hp rated L-72 might have been the L-88 but they all carried the same "IP" suffix. The L-88 was appropriately coded "IT".

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Cecil

The other thing interesting in regard to the early 962 block for 65 and the early 942 block for 66 is that both blocks have verticle ribs by the lifter galley which appear to be additional support like they were going to make the block out of aluminum. Both years they only produced that block for a couple of months.

Bill

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The L-88 is a fun engine to drive. I have a L-88 parts counter shortblock with iron open chamber heads in a 1964 Impala/TH 350/straight drive shaft/big olds rear with 5.13 gears.

Shift at 8200, 12.17 at 117. Full interior grocery getter with a tach on the steering colum. 4175lbs with me.

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
"Even before they could see its distinctive quad headlamps piercing the darkness, the Sunray DX Motorsports team knew when their Corvette was exiting the final ninety-degree turn at the end of Sebring’s long back straight. Six hundred horsepower worth of big block Chevrolet generated a thunderous roar unlike anything else on the track.

Hey Tom
I remember reading that about 40 years ago:doh
......in Car & Driver I think......:scratch

I do remember trying to buy an L88 otc at the dealership I
worked at.....was going to put it in a 63 Coupe...:eek: ......didn't happen.....
price must've scared me off.........bought a new 68 instead.........:cool:

:cheers
bj

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
That's right Shan. You must be one of us "seasoned ciitizens", Most of the youngsters today wouldn't know what it is.:clap

Cecil: I was looking at your avator while catching up on this forum and was thinking P-38 and then scrolled on and saw Shan's question. So add another old fart to your list:roll
robert
P.S. you ever fly one of those things.:eek: :eek: I heard my uncle talking about them but he never did like those "small things"

oil4kids

Well Known Member
Skin

if that story is 100% then , his car was one of the first 427 copo type conversions which, was followed by Baldwin Motion, Dick Harrell, Don Yenko, Bill Thomas conversions etc etc.

Jim Halls Chaparrell had a L88 prototype in late 65 early 66 but might have been a can am designed block (430) like Grumpy Jenkins started experimenting with..

This story is quite possible since Chevy used to build one of type cars for special people, Like Larry Shinoda of Corvette fame who had a Chevy line built 327 Fuel injected 1963/4 Nova.

just a few more ideas

The corvette L88 pan was not compatable with a- body frame. So maybe L89 alloy head 427 may have been chosen for it. The L89 looks exactly like L88-but smoother cam, comp ratio, and those nice looking deep reach alloy heads,and a compatable oil pan or Maybe shipped with an L89 and then engine pulled,and upgraded to L88 specs.....both shipped separately to dealer for reassembly.
You know an unrunning car was a shipping headache. GM used special pallets to ship bodies-in-white, but they had no frames.

BC409

Supporting Member 1
man i love stories like that! its especially nice to hear someone went the extra mile to help a vietnam vet get the car he wanted.One thing ive learned thru the years with musclecars, it doesnt matter if your talking 409s,shelbys,vettes,hemis or whatever, there are always real cars that dont fit into the so called rules and accepted knowledge. it always boils down to connections and money,if a guy had both he get about anything. thanx for the story.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
man i love stories like that! its especially nice to hear someone went the extra mile to help a vietnam vet get the car he wanted.One thing ive learned thru the years with musclecars, it doesnt matter if your talking 409s,shelbys,vettes,hemis or whatever, there are always real cars that dont fit into the so called rules and accepted knowledge. it always boils down to connections and money,if a guy had both he get about anything. thanx for the story.

That sure is true. There is a Pontiac in this area with NASCAR lineage that was built because of executive money and influence so you can't deny that stuff is happening but it is nice to hear that it has happened to a deserving individual such as the 'nam vet.
robert

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Cecil: I was looking at your avator while catching up on this forum and was thinking P-38 and then scrolled on and saw Shan's question. So add another old fart to your list:roll
robert
P.S. you ever fly one of those things.:eek: :eek: I heard my uncle talking about them but he never did like those "small things"

Robert,
No, but I'd give my left testicle to get my hands on one for about an hour.:cool:

Skinman

L-88 Chevelle Story

Don't know about you but over the years I figured out that many authors in magazines don't always know everything. I also know that in during the 60's many things happened out of Detroit that were never for public knowledge and would not be common information today.
The important thing is that we as "gearheads" love to know all we can about facts, stories and how it was during our day.
For those that were in high school and college from 1962-1975 say, will most likely remember that there were a zillion cars around that we call muscle cars today. Having one of many 350 - 450 HP cars running the streets was not a big deal. It was for the handful that really were into street racing, but you would not believe how many dorks had those cars that just got a "pretty" car to cruise with and look good for the chicks. I love to hear the stories about how guys raced on backroads in those days and real events that happened. I could write a book.
I shared the L-88 Chevelle story because it really did happen. Hope you enjoyed. :cheers

409, I like your spirit and open mind. I appreciate those that just appreciated that story for what is was and added constructive meaningful commentary. I very much appreciated the fellow that had familiarity with those all star names mentioned like Baldwin Motion and others.