Moog front coil springs

heddrik

Well Known Member
I have new Moog 658A coil springs, they are listed as for 61-64 Impala front. I am assuming for a small block? Do I need a different set for a 409, and if so, does anyone have a part number? I want to stay with Moog if possible. Thank you all again gentlemen.

gwagon

Well Known Member
Rock Auto shows your springs
MOOG 658A Constant Rate Spring; Sold In Pairs

Front; Wagon; 4 door; 9 Passenger; without A/C

heddrik

Well Known Member
Thank you Mr. Craig. I wonder what a/c has to do with springs, weight maybe? So I 'll use them on my 409. Um, according to Mr. Phil they are not correct for a 409?? I'm confused, thank you all . Anyone clear this up for me?

hrlykngt

Well Known Member
I am following up on this question.
Which of these springs will get me the tallest stance in the front the 658A or 6004? I am swapping a 327 in 62 SS with the 409, want it to sit as high in front as will go for the old Super Stock look. Thinking about adding ball joint spacers also so the front end will come up when I take off like the old cars did.
What is difference between Super Sport and Impala 2 Door Hdtp that would make it different spring, a little more weight?
From LA Hot Rods post above the free height is 16.89 on 658A and 18.78 on 6004, does free height mean it will also be taller when compressed?
Thanks, Harley

Last edited:

hrlykngt

Well Known Member
Does anyone know where I can find a set of these 6004 springs? I cant find them in stock anywhere. May have to go with the 6084 if I cant find. They are same height but higher spring rate at 377 lbs. over the 6004 325 lbs. and can pick up today for $89

moog-6084TangentialTangential16.79123.820.673771805Constant Rate

hrlykngt

Well Known Member
For anyone interested.
I found a company that makes a copy of the Moog 6004, they are Mevotech, supposed to be made in the USA.
Part # SMS 6004, found them on AMAZON for $90. I ordered a set and will try them out.
https://www.mevotech.com/part//SMS6004

I contacted their Tech Support and it is spec'd same as Moog 6004, below is what they sent me.

Bar Diameter (inches)0.67
Install Height11.8
Load (lbs)2264
Spring Rate (lbs per inch)325

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
For anyone interested.
I found a company that makes a copy of the Moog 6004, they are Mevotech, supposed to be made in the USA.
Part # SMS 6004, found them on AMAZON for $90. I ordered a set and will try them out.
https://www.mevotech.com/part//SMS6004

I contacted their Tech Support and it is spec'd same as Moog 6004, below is what they sent me.

Bar Diameter (inches)0.67
Install Height11.8
Load (lbs)2264
Spring Rate (lbs per inch)325
That Mevotech is listed as out of stock on all other sites. I hope Amazon isn't just holding your money