More drag racing from 1963

64chevydude

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Looks like a test n tune day for mopars and fords and a couple chevys snuck in. The second one had some early shots at milan, a local track around here

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Looks like the Madras strip I remember in 69 and 70 not much changed from 63, fun times, now only 1/8 mile :pop

Z-11Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I remember the first time I made pass down Bremerton dragway in my '70 Impala when I was a kid (just a slow 15 second car) . Nobody told me about the shut down area being less than 600 ft !!! Drum brakes didn't like that one :(

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
On the second movie at about 4:56-5 or so is Hayden Proffitt in his Plymouth, a real close up.

409fanatic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Great Videos. . I was hoping to see our ole 61 in the one at Madras if this is the Madras Oregon. drag strip. Do you have anymore between 1961 to 1965 in Madras or Woodburn. The article is the Aug 11th 1961 National Dragster paper stating where Alan May (the first owner) in his 61 409 beat the 1961 Pope Ford 401 driven by Jim Price at that drag strip . I have old pictures of it's early racing years but I have never seen a video of it. Thanks so much for posting the videos. Love the old ones..I believe the picture of the 61 was in Madras, or could of been Woodburn. Butch
409 Nat Drag ad (2)-001.jpg 409 May pic 1.jpg

Last edited:

Z-11Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sorry for the late reply, sweet '61 you have and the history behind it. There is a twilight turquoise 348/350 HP '61 Biscayne that was raced in Oregon new as well that was having work done last summer from a local repair shop here in Seattle. It was restored back to stock and quite nice. I will see if I can dig up more info for you. Here is a name you may want to track down in Oregon that may help you with more info. If he still with us, there was a racer named Al Shuey from Bend Oregon I believe. He was a regular at Madras with a super fast jewel blue '61 Impala 348/350 set up that gave plenty of 401 HP & 406 Fords plenty of grief ( he used to beat Jim Price here from Seattle's Pope Ford in his 406 Galaxie like a drum and Price demanded the 348 tore down everytime). If he is still around track him down, I might of spelled his last name incorrectly though try your contacts with that name first, regards, Raj.

409fanatic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hey thanks for the info. Seems like Ole Price might of been getting beat by everybody but in the article above it stated he was a crowds favorite and was a factory racer.Anyway you look at it it is great to hear that the old "W" motors were ending play days for Ford. It is not that I dislike Fords being a car guy here but the "W" motors some how or other really have tripped my trigger since they first rolled off of the assembly line. Nothing else come close.

I have a picture or two of Al Shuey. I just tried finding them but failed. It was a picture of him at Madras. Looking though I did find a flag start of our car, the Salem Speed shop the way it looks today and still being run by the same fellow and a picture of the 61 at the Winters in 1964. The flag start could of been Madras. Before I go further I have to give thanks and mention that all 60's and early 70's pictures, literature along with records it broke and races won from Ca. through Oregon to Wa. was all supplied by the first owner Alan May, 2nd owner Jim Burton, and 3rd owner Glenn Larson and Buck Burton plus Glen Volz of the Salem Speed shop when General Motors regional office in Portland required a letter stating the car being ordered by May would be used solely for drag racing purposes. Glenn Larson is cloning a 61 and it is now at the So Cal speed shop in Pomona Ca. for a frame off. It won't be a number and date coded car but should be a twin to ours. The motor he is using is my world finals motor and is also using a 4 speed. Cannot wait to see it done. It should be done this coming spring. One might not be able to tell then apart. But that being said that is a great idea on running down Shuey if possible. And as far as the one being restored in Seattle is very interesting. I have not heard of that one. Maybe Glenn knows the car being restored I wish Glenn Larson would get on here for he was around all this stuff in that era and those places. Very knowledgeable and in fact ran the Balboa drag strip back then.Maybe you remember that race way. The more I am around this stuff the world closes in and gets to be pretty amazing where a lot people know each other.

Well if you can find more that would be great. We need to get Glenn over hear because he was into this NW racing era up to eye brows and remembers so many things. I will see what I can find on Shuey.. Thanks for posting.Copy of 409 b&w w flagger.jpg Copy of 409 super chevy 005.jpg Copy of 409 b&w w flagger.jpg Copy of 409 super chevy 005.jpg 03990042.jpg Copy of 409 b&w w flagger.jpg Copy of 409 super chevy 005.jpg 03990042.jpg

Z-11Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cool shots,
I spoke to Dick Milner also who owned and raced the Alan Green Chevy '63 Z-11 Impala about Allen May. Didn't ring a bell with Dick since he ran at Madras once with the Z-11.
Here is a clip of the '61 Pomona Winternationals (says 1962 though is 1961). You will see a few shots of Nicholson and Sanders '09's. There were 6 409's at the '61 Winternationals
Don Nicholson
Frank Sanders
Tom Sturm
Bernie Partridge
Dick Harrell
Mike Mclusky (not 100% he had the 409 installed by the time of this meet yet)

Art Martin from Minnesota had a blue '61 Biscayne 409 fleetmaster as well that complimented Dave Strickler's.

409fanatic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks for the videos. This here is real racing to me. We went to the Famoso Bakersfield Hot Rod reunion a couple years ago. I thought if I ever went to a now day type drag race I would throw rocks at them. Don't get me wrong, drag racing is the best old or new but to me the old stuff was w a-y-y-y-y better.. Tommy Ivo was there, the Winged express and 100 or so more.. I really appreciate you sharing these. Alan May was watching this race as I understand it and when he got home he decided that is what he was going to do was get was a 409. That is where it all started for the rest of us............... I found this picture of Al Shuey I was looking for. It was a poster on a wall on a building at Madras when I was there around 2009. Did not know where I hid it on the computer but aft digging I finally found it. He was racing against the Pope Ford driven Jim Price and won but Al fell as the article sates to another 409 but did not say who. Could of maybe been May?????? Wished I knew..Butch
Drag race Madras 153.jpg

Attachments

• Drag race Madras 087.jpg
    Drag race Madras 087.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 13

409fanatic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I would like to make one more comment. Watching the "W" motors thrash it out at the convention this year was better than any now days drag race I've seen whether Pomona, LV or Seattle. Great going guys, you had me going..I wished Gary Jessperson hadn't had any problems, I would of liked to of seen the potential out of that one. Great show and hats off to all of you, one of the best races ever. Butch

Z-11Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Look up this shop in my neighborhood 34th street garage in Seattle WA and call them about this twighlight turquoise '61 Biscayne 348/350 hp tripower car that was raced out of Oregon new. The owner of the shop is all business though a good guy and has done work on my '70 Impala's.
00909_5o9EqzJ8A5d_600x450.jpg
1961_Chevrolet_Biscayne_For_Sale_Side_resize.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

409fanatic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
You know I think I sen this car years ago at the Portland swap meet. Is that possible? It must of been 15 to 20 years ago. I believe they claimed it was a factory racer. The color of these photo are throwing me a little bit unless it has been repainted but it was more of a real light green. Interesting. You say he is wanting o sell it or what is he planning on?

There is a new museum going in Wilsonville Oregon. I was over there just a few months ago and Tony Thacker the Executive director let my wife Debbie and I in the warehouse that was storing and restoring cars for the museum. I wished I would of got the name for there was a red 1963 Z-11 in there.. Do you have any idea who's that might be. I looked it all over. They had a sign next to it telling about it but I cannot remember at all who's it was. Here is the link to the museum. Be opening April the 24th..
NEWS — World of Speed............Thanks for posting the pictures... B

Z-11Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You know I think I sen this car years ago at the Portland swap meet. Is that possible? It must of been 15 to 20 years ago. I believe they claimed it was a factory racer. The color of these photo are throwing me a little bit unless it has been repainted but it was more of a real light green. Interesting. You say he is wanting o sell it or what is he planning on?

There is a new museum going in Wilsonville Oregon. I was over there just a few months ago and Tony Thacker the Executive director let my wife Debbie and I in the warehouse that was storing and restoring cars for the museum. I wished I would of got the name for there was a red 1963 Z-11 in there.. Do you have any idea who's that might be. I looked it all over. They had a sign next to it telling about it but I cannot remember at all who's it was. Here is the link to the museum. Be opening April the 24th..
NEWS — World of Speed............Thanks for posting the pictures... B

The red Z-11 was Chuck Turner & Mel Kautz car sponsored from Floyd Floren Chevrolet in Detroit. Chuck & Mel were Chevrolet engineers and used a transistorized ignition on the Z-11. Car did not run near as well as Sox & Martin's, Stricklers, Durham etc. It got consistently stomped by the Ramchargers 426 Dodge ,Golden Commandos 426 Plymouth & even the Bob Ford 427 Galaxies on a regular basis at Detroit dragway.

ChuckTurnersCHEVY1963Detroit.jpg

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3

Butch I bet it could be the same car after all. I have seen several times where '61 Chevrolets that are Seafoam Green look more baby blue or sky blue when photographed. For some reason the green tint just doesn't show at all in most pictures.

409fanatic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Back with you. Man, the world just keeps getting smaller and smaller. I am going to be down at the World of Speed next week for we are taking the 9 iron down to put in their ware house and we will be getting it ready to put in the museum. It will be there a year from the grand opening April 24th. But I am going to eye ball the Z-11 a little closer when we are down there. Until that day a few months ago I had never seen one. It was not dressed up as a race car if I remember but just like one that came out off the show room. They had so many nice old race cars in there I was like a kid in a candy store. I just could not hardly take it all in.
It is funny how you can see one of these cars and never forget them like the sea foam green 61. Just sitting there for sale at the swap meet but I have never forgot it. I cannot remember what they wanted for it now but they advertised it as a racer. I never got the name of the shop that is restoring it. Well, at any rate it is nice to be here and see the interest in keeping these old girls alive. I hope the younger generation takes off. Ricky & Loreen Ingram we met at the convention is just one of those guys and gals.He was up on about everything with these cars. He would be quite a leader.
One of my biggest thrills there was to see a 62 Chev 409 give a 500,000 dollar Lambo one hell of a tussle. One of the best races ever...
Thanks for the posting guys. When I get to the warehouse I will take a picture of the Z-11.
Does anyone know if Dennis McClenan ( not for sure how to spell his last name) if he sold his 62. It was claimed as the World Fastest 409 at I believe 7's at 200 mph. I seen it was on E bay. Thanks for the info... Butch

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Would that 409 vs. Lamborghini be on video anywhere? That's another one I'd love to show the ricer guys at work!!

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Back with you. Man, the world just keeps getting smaller and smaller. I am going to be down at the World of Speed next week for we are taking the 9 iron down to put in their ware house and we will be getting it ready to put in the museum. It will be there a year from the grand opening April 24th. But I am going to eye ball the Z-11 a little closer when we are down there. Until that day a few months ago I had never seen one. It was not dressed up as a race car if I remember but just like one that came out off the show room. They had so many nice old race cars in there I was like a kid in a candy store. I just could not hardly take it all in.
It is funny how you can see one of these cars and never forget them like the sea foam green 61. Just sitting there for sale at the swap meet but I have never forgot it. I cannot remember what they wanted for it now but they advertised it as a racer. I never got the name of the shop that is restoring it. Well, at any rate it is nice to be here and see the interest in keeping these old girls alive. I hope the younger generation takes off. Ricky & Loreen Ingram we met at the convention is just one of those guys and gals.He was up on about everything with these cars. He would be quite a leader.
One of my biggest thrills there was to see a 62 Chev 409 give a 500,000 dollar Lambo one hell of a tussle. One of the best races ever...
Thanks for the posting guys. When I get to the warehouse I will take a picture of the Z-11.
Does anyone know if Dennis McClenan ( not for sure how to spell his last name) if he sold his 62. It was claimed as the World Fastest 409 at I believe 7's at 200 mph. I seen it was on E bay. Thanks for the info... Butch
Butch, thank you for sharing these stories and pictures!! It still amazes me that you have soooo much info and documentation from the early years of your car!!