Mounting door mirrors

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
The recent threads on door mirrors and "screws" reminded me of my own door mirrors that were not staying tightly fastened to the door skin. Whenever I rebuild a car, I have been spot welding a second piece of sheet metal under the original mirror mount location on the door skins. this allows for more torque on the screws and makes the mirror mount really solid. NO FLEX!

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Thanks Leo my car has only a drivers side door mirror, I've been thinking about installing a passenger side mirror but didn't know if any reinforcement was necessary. Thanks Pat

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Great tip Leo! I used to fight the same issue and also with the sunvisors not staying tight. :doh

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
A plate can be added if car is finished just remove door panel and predrill hole's to match first and apply silicone and hold it in place while a assistant screw's on mirror Then if mirror needed to be taken off for any reason the silicone would hold the plate in place.If i remember right the older 66 chevy pickup had a extra plate triangle shaped with screw lug's on them, which mounted the mirror.