Muffler searching

Impala Steve

Well Known Member
Hi all, I have a 58 impala with 348 motor with a mild cam 200-216 duration @ .050 duration. I am doing comparison shopping on various performance mufflers out there. It's hard to decide, there's so many out there. I stumbled across a brand called Aero Exhaust from Full boar performance mufflers in Tennessee. I went on you tube and like the sound. Have any of you installed one on a 1958?

What mufflers are you guys running on your 58's? Will a 6 inch diameter round muffler case fit underneath the 58? If not, is an oval shaped muffler better?

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I will say this, buy a quality muffler. I have Magnaflows on my 64. They sound good. Flowmasters sound a little over the top to me. I have been told my Magnaflows are too quiet but I like them

poison ivy

Well Known Member
426 ci w, with dual quads,925,926 cast exhausts,3" pipes with flow masters,3" all the way to the rear,fits tight to the body, sounds great...

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
super 44 from flowmaster, or series 40 2 chamber or 3 chamber from flowmaster. The magnflows are also a quality and good sounding muffler, maybe a little less interior noise. Depends on your tolerance.

Kevin- Quik9r

BB1960

Well Known Member
I've had a few different mufflers on my W, my favorites were Thrush mufflers, good deep note, not too loud. Currently running Magnaflows into side pipes, however, they are much louder than the Thrush mufflers, to the point where the CD player in the glovebox is now only there for looks.....can't hear a thing....

Impala Steve

Well Known Member
I will say this, buy a quality muffler. I have Magnaflows on my 64. They sound good. Flowmasters sound a little over the top to me. I have been told my Magnaflows are too quiet but I like them

Do you have the oval case or the round case? How do they fit? Do you have a sound clip or is it posted on you tube to listen to the sound?

Impala Steve

Well Known Member
I am now down to two muffler brands-Magnaflow or Aero Exhaust. The only thing with the Aero turbine muffler is that the case is 6 inches round. I checked underneath-looks like it's going to stick out. I really like the sound of the Aero muffler. Anyone able to fit a 6 inch round case muffler on their cars?

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Mine are oval (standard shape). I have a few sound clips on my phone I can try and get on here so you can listen

Impala Steve

Well Known Member
Mine are oval (standard shape). I have a few sound clips on my phone I can try and get on here so you can listen

Thanks, Jason I would appreciate that. I looked in the Aero Turbine mufflers-it's not going to fit. So I'm pursuing Magnaflows now-just don't know which type to get...either the oval muffler part # 11375 2.25 inch pipe-offset same end or the Magnapack (round case) part # 10444 which is a two inch pipe.

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4

Hey Jason....that's the sound I'm looking for...........:brow
Is there a model no. or part no for those MagnaFlows.......:rub
Great lookin' 64 .....:beer
:cheers
bj

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I would have to call the shop that built the exhaust. He ordered up the longest case Magnaflow that would fit the X Frame.